Symbol for S&P 500

neasds

What symbol do you use to query the S&P 500 using the stockhistory function?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
It looks like the StockHistory function returns information of certain stocks/funds based on their ticker symbol, as explained here:

Since the "S&P 500" really isn't an individual fund, I don't know if it will work.
But you can try, based on the symbol mentioned here: S&P 500 Index Ticker Symbol.

Upvote 0
It looks like the StockHistory function returns information of certain stocks/funds based on their ticker symbol, as explained here:

Since the "S&P 500" really isn't an individual fund, I don't know if it will work.
But you can try, based on the symbol mentioned here: S&P 500 Index Ticker Symbol.
Thanks, but that doesn't work.

Upvote 0
If you look further down the article in the second link I provided, it looks like it says you can use "SPX" for that (see the section entitled "Other Tickers Symbols for the S&P 500").

So I entered this formula in cell A1 to get yesterday's closing price:
Excel Formula:
=STOCKHISTORY("SPX",TODAY()-1,TODAY()-1)

And this is what it returned for me:
1726145921333.png

Upvote 0
This site provides a free Add in that I use to track stock prices including the S&P

Alan,

Just curious, what are the pros/cons of the Add In?
How is it better/worse than the StockHistory function?

I have never really used either before, so am just curious about the limitations.

Upvote 0
It updates every x seconds with a 20 minute delay. You set the interval. I've been using it since before Stock History became available. It also supports some ETFs and Mutual Funds that don't seem to be available with StockHistory. Also, can get prices on Precious Metals, International, Foreign Currency and Crypto Currencies. Easy to use.

Upvote 0
If you look further down the article in the second link I provided, it looks like it says you can use "SPX" for that (see the section entitled "Other Tickers Symbols for the S&P 500").

So I entered this formula in cell A1 to get yesterday's closing price:
Excel Formula:
=STOCKHISTORY("SPX",TODAY()-1,TODAY()-1)

And this is what it returned for me:
View attachment 116759
Hi Joe, that is the closing price for SPX Technologies, the closing price for S&P Index was $ 5,554.13, you need to type SPX in a cell, click Stock History, scroll down the list, expand it to show all results and select manually.

The S&P Index has been an unresolved issue for Excel for a long time (You have to do the same with the INX ticker it shows as that defaults to Intouch Insight Ltd, although you can see S&P Index in the initial results without expanding it).

A few images of the SPX ticker below

1726152598288.png

1726152652579.png
1726152986320.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alan & Mark,
Thanks for the information and clarification. I learned something new today!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back