Sum upward until BLANK CELL

smartkrips

Hello All,

I am looking for a formula that will add all numbers from the cell just above it, till the blank cell comes.

I have tried to find if this was already asked or if answer is available and what I got is as below:

Formula: To add all numbers till blank cell comes... but this is for downward calculation...

=SUM(A1:INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A1:A1000="",0),0)))

Next, for upward, there was an answer to use AutoSum... but then i can't use it as copy paste to another cell and expect it to behave same way... Because, if i use it as copy paste, then it will take same no. cells into consideration that we have in the source.
2nd: if there are 5 continuous rows where numbers are there, and if i add any new row in between it does not re-calculate even if one blank row is added.

Let me know if my question is not clear and you need more information to help me.

Rgds,
KK

Ok, it worked now...thank you so much. It seems for formula to work, there has to be one blank cell in the previous column.. if I have number starting from A1... till A8... this formula will not work. Must have one cell blank before I actually start the numbers.

Rgds,
KK

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Ok, it worked now...thank you so much. It seems for formula to work, there has to be one blank cell in the previous column.. if I have number starting from A1... till A8... this formula will not work. Must have one cell blank before I actually start the numbers.

Rgds,
KK

I have no idea what you are trying to say...

Upvote 0
Thank you very very much... I see that for formula to work at least one of the cell in the previous column has to be non-numbered. It can be blank or some text data - like i have header for the column. If numbers are starting from A1 to A7 and if I type formula in B8 then it will not give any output... Just FYI or something that I noticed.

Once again many many thanks for your all time and effort. Much appreciated.

Rgds,
KK

Upvote 0
Another option,

In B2, enter normal formula and copy down :

=IF((A2="")*(A1<>""),SUM(A$1:A2)-SUM(B$1:B1),"")

Regards

Upvote 0
Thank you very very much... I see that for formula to work at least one of the cell in the previous column has to be non-numbered. It can be blank or some text data - like i have header for the column. If numbers are starting from A1 to A7 and if I type formula in B8 then it will not give any output... Just FYI or something that I noticed.

Once again many many thanks for your all time and effort. Much appreciated.

Rgds,
KK

See bosco_yip's proposal...

Upvote 0
Hello bosco_yip... this formula seems really magical... I could successfully use Aladin's formula as I needed... however, that was highly technical for me, due to my knowledge gap... this one i could understand...

Thanks a lot...

Rgds,
KK

Upvote 0
Hello bosco_yip... this formula seems really magical... I could successfully use Aladin's formula as I needed... however, that was highly technical for me, due to my knowledge gap... this one i could understand...

Thanks a lot...

Rgds,
KK

Glad to help

Regards

Upvote 0
That formula made my brain hurt. 🤕 How would I adjust that formula to have the result populate in the same row as the last number rather than the next row?

1722543768271.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Upvote 0
Just now seeing bosco_yip's suggestion and I was able to update that formula to suit my needs. Much simpler solution for my simple mind. 😃
Thanks very much!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Would this work?:
Book7.xlsx
A
5Header
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A14A14=SUM(INDEX(A1:A13, MAX(ROW(A1:A13)*(A1:A13=""))):A13)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kramb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back