Sum Frequency IF formulas with multiple criteria

NewbieExcel123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have a formula I found on here (thanks for the help), but I need to add another criteria for it to search for.
It searches for how many times the word 'Pass' appears more than 5 times in a row until a 'Fail' is found, and then it tells me the total times that occurs.

Column NColumn O
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
EOPass
EOFail
EOPass
EOPass
EOPass
AOPass
AOPass

Currently the formula is:
=SUM(--(FREQUENCY(IF(O5:O99="Pass",ROW(O5:O99)),IF(O5:O99="Fail",ROW(O5:O99)))>=5))

But I want to add the option for have one formula also search for EO and another formula search for AO.

Essentially I need to add into the above formula:

$N$5:$N$100,"=AO", $O$5:$O$100,"=Pass
or
$N$5:$N$100,"=EO", $O$5:$O$100,"=Pass

I am unable to upload files unfortunately.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Try:

Book5
KLMNO
1Code# of 5-in-a-rowCodePass/Fail
2AO2AOPass
3EO1AOPass
4AOPass
5EOPass
6EOFail
7EOPass
8EOPass
9EOPass
10AOPass
11AOPass
12AOPass
13AOPass
14AOFail
15AOPass
16AOPass
17AOPass
18AOPass
19AOPass
20EOpass
21EOpass
22EOpass
23AOfail
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L2:L3L2=LET(f,FILTER($O$2:$O$100,$N$2:$N$100=K2),s,SEQUENCE(ROWS(f)),fr,FREQUENCY(IF(f="pass",s),IF(f="fail",s)),SUM(--(fr>=5)))

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Try:

Thank you very much, that worked great, I have a question to make it work with what I need, can I use a wild card search on the 'Pass' bit? I also have another criteria which is "Pass (Advisory)" which I need to include in the total of cells matching EO and AO? I did have a go adding in *Pass or ?*** but it broke the formula.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Or if a wild card can't be used, how would I add a second criteria to search "Pass" and "Pass (Advisory)" under AO and EO?
Thank you

Upvote 0
I'd suggest using the ISNUMBER(SEARCH("pass",string)) construct. SEARCH will return the offset into string where "pass" starts, or an error if it's not found. Then you can see if you get a number back by using ISNUMBER, telling you that it's in there somewhere. So the formula becomes:

Book5
KLMNO
2AO2AOPass
3EO1AOPass
4AOPass
5EOPass
6EOFail
7EOPass
8EOPass
9EOPass
10AOPass (Advisory)
11AOPass
12AOPass
13AOPass
14AOFail
15AOPass
16AOPass
17AOPass
18AOPass
19AOPass
20EOpass
21EOpass
22EOpass
23AOfail
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L2:L3L2=LET(f,FILTER($O$2:$O$100,$N$2:$N$100=K2),s,SEQUENCE(ROWS(f)),fr,FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("pass",f)),s),IF(f="fail",s)),SUM(--(fr>=5)))

Upvote 0
Thank you again! After googling I'm glad you came back with that as it kinda of was in the direction I was heading
However I've popped that in but I'm getting a #calc! Errors on ones where there are no AO or EO for it to search, so I assume it needs something to tell to return zero where no AO or EO is present?

This is a great learning journey and you're helping loads, thank you for helping me.

Upvote 0
I think this is easiest:

=LET(f,FILTER($O$2:$O$100,$N$2:$N$100=K2,"Fail"),s,SEQUENCE(ROWS(f)),fr,FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("pass",f)),s),IF(f="fail",s)),SUM(--(fr>=5)))

If the filter doesn't find AO or EO, then it just returns a default value of "Fail", and when that is given to the rest of the formula, it returns 0.

Happy to help!

Upvote 0
It searches for how many times the word 'Pass' appears more than 5 times in a row until a 'Fail' is found, and then it tells me the total times that occurs.
Eric's formula is counting 5 or more, but your OP asked for more than 5 times. If it's more than 5 times then you can change my formula to 6 towards the end of the formula.
One more option:
Book3
KLMNO
2AO2AOPass
3EO1AOPass
4XD0AOPass
5EOPass
6EOFail
7EOPass
8EOPass
9EOPass
10AOPass (Advisory)
11AOPass
12AOPass
13AOPass
14AOFail
15AOPass
16AOPass
17AOPass
18AOPass
19AOPass
20EOpass
21EOpass
22EOpass
23AOfail
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L2:L4L2=SUM(--(SCAN(0,FILTER($O$2:$O$23,$N$2:$N$23=K2,0),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Pass",b)),a+1,0)))=5))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eric's formula is counting 5 or more, but your OP asked for more than 5 times. If it's more than 5 times then you can change my formula to 6 towards the end of the formula.
One more option:

Sorry I did mean how many times does Pass or Pass (advisory) appear 5 times in a row, so how many blocks of 5 are there, so if a Fail appears say 3 Passes in, the count starts again after that fail to look for another 5 in a row.

Upvote 0
So I've come across a problem, it all seemed to be working fine, turned the result into a percentage so that 1 block of 5 "Pass" including "Pass (Advisory)" would equal 50% and two blocks of 5 would equal 100%.
But for some reason it's not done it in this one, is it because there's no breaks between the two blocks of 5? just 10 "Pass" in a row?
AO Passes = 1050%
EO Passes = 0None Completed
AOFail
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass
AOPass

=IFERROR(LET(f,FILTER($I$5:$I$103,$H$5:$H$103="AO"),s,SEQUENCE(ROWS(f)),fr,FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Pass",f)),s),IF(f="fail",s)),SUM(--(fr>=5)))*0.5,"None completed")

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back