Suggestions?

:oops: :biggrin: Cool.

I realise that after 50 mins of posting you are unable to edit the first post in a thread. In the past I have liked readjusting the title of this post to include solved or answered in the heading.

I think it would be great if the thread originator had the option available to tick a box (or something) that means the thread no longer requires answers. Then perhaps the little orang/grey triangle things that indicate a posts' status (ie new since you last visited the forum etc) could maybe be half green or something, just so we know that it no longer requires attention :)

Any thoughts?

That is a great suggestion. :)

We have that at VBAExpress.com also, and TSG (Tech Support Guy) has it too. Although those are vBulletin software boards as this is a Php board. I personally really like the feature. It's great for archiving and/or searching forums (for whatever reasons).

Hello,

The Idea Dude said:
I think it would be great if the thread originator had the option available to tick a box (or something) that means the thread no longer requires answers. Then perhaps the little orang/grey triangle things that indicate a posts' status (ie new since you last visited the forum etc) could maybe be half green or something, just so we know that it no longer requires attention :)

Any thoughts?
I, for one, would not like to see this here. The originator asked the question because they were not aware of a solution or the multiple ways to approach a task (in most cases). It stands to reason that they may not be aware of the best solution provided (if there is one) or that a better solution is coming when they feel the urge to 'tick the box' in question.

It seems to me that threads might be better off, quality-wise, if they are left open to ongoing discussion (in general, not including derailed threads, etc..).

Meanwhile, feel free to respond with something along the lines of 'Solution X works, thanks.' :)

I think it is a good idea to keep threads open.

If somebody searchs and finds an appropriate thread then at least we can point out to them that it is an old post and direct them to creating a new one which is more pertinent to their own needs.

Plus there is always more than one way to skin a cat (not that I would do that).

Norie said:
I think it is a good idea to keep threads open.
Which I think is a seperate issue, closing vs. marking 'solved'.

Maybe it'd just be easier on the back-end more than the front (e.g. archiving files, forum searches, etc). I completely agree about closing threads. Most threads can use improvement in one aspect or another. Imho. (y)

firefytr said:
Maybe it'd just be easier on the back-end more than the front (e.g. archiving files, forum searches, etc). I completely agree about closing threads. Most threads can use improvement in one aspect or another. Imho. (y)

Eh, I'm not so sure. I don't think that it is that great of a question. There is never a perfect answer, archiving is subjective which leads to some really cack answers being archived. The level of answer archived is proportionate to the skill level of the archiver. The suitability of the solution can only be determined by the person that needs help. Some really terrible solutions may be just what is needed, but is not technically the best solution.

Shorthand: You can't polish a turd.

The point of this bord is to help people that need help. If the person gets a solution to their problem then, great. If it works then it is the best solution.

I agree with the concept that the original poster gives some acknowledgement that their problem has been solved. However, a simple reply with "That worked" would do. Any other mechanism would be fruitless since a lot of OPs do not acknowledge that they got their problem solved. I hate those people. :biggrin:

Mark O'Brien said:
The suitability of the solution can only be determined by the person that needs help. Some really terrible solutions may be just what is needed, but is not technically the best solution.

The point of this bord is to help people that need help. If the person gets a solution to their problem then, great. If it works then it is the best solution.

Do you mean like this? :-

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=120848

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back