Storing DVDs on a hard drive

what i find great with the hdd solution is that i can plug straight into my TV and they play. the quality is virtually uncompromised, and using hdd it is easy to network with others using the same system to expand ones collection. the movies burn to dvd in other formats and the bulk of players will play them so long as you check that your codec is supported before ripping 100 dvds in anticipation. also if one has a dtv card, it is a great way to collect favourite shows and chop out the ads etc and play whereever, rather than paying hundreds for hd recorders for each member of the houosehold that wants to watch a show.

my mum who is in a nursing home has a hdd and dtv. she plays her movies, old photos, tai chi instruction, mp3s all from the hdd. when i visit i bring new movies etc. she is the envy of the staff, cos she is more up with technology that they are. :)

GO the HDD. they rock :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Right, being a complete newbie at ripping/converting I have now come to the following conclusion:

If you are looking at storing DVDs with a small HD footprint (ie mp4 or similar) and your DVDs are mostly TV series with lots of individual episodes on each disk then it makes sense to convert each episode individually. It just isn't worth it if you want to try and maintain a menu structure in a complete disk conversion.

It just isn't worth it if you want to try and maintain a menu structure in a complete disk conversion.

bit confused :confused: What do you mean by this? An ISO file maintains the structure, it is exactly the same as sticking in the actual DVD

Kyle

I don't mean storing as an ISO - I mean converting to mp4 using h.264 or DivX or equivalent.

yeh. do individual episodes. i use h264, but some devices wont play it. i get what you mean...

I suggest trying DivX.. My personal favourite. Excellent quality which can be stored upto 1080p.

How long does the encoding actually take these days? I can rip a dvd to iso in around 12 minutes depending on the size of the disk. How much longer would it then take to convert?

The transcoding can be very quick (using paid for software MedaiEspresso on a trial basis it took me 3 minutes per ISO). Using Handbrake (freeware) it is taking me longer at about 9 minutes. However, I like the flexibility and options in Handbrake (and the zero cost!) so I am not sure whether I will take the plunge to pay for an admittedly fast paid-for product.

what videoaudio spec are you using to do it in 3 minutes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back