Storing DVDs on a hard drive

Firefly2012

If you rip your DVDs to your hard drive, what format(s) do you use to store them and what kind of file size do you find gives an acceptable balance between size and quality?

I encoded a DVD in mp4 last night and was a bit disappointed to find that a 6Gb DVD still occupied 1.9Gb after encoding (I was using default settings in Handbrake though so may well be able to push the size smaller).

I'd be interested to hear your experiences (I don't need links to forums like afterdawn or doom9 thanks).

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Most guides, purely for tradition, will point you towards cd sized conversions (700MB or 1.4GB) and this seems a fair trade-off between size and quality to me.

If you're watching the results on a phone or tablet then you can get away with smaller sizes but if you might want to watch it on a 50 inch screen you'd start to notice problems on a smaller file.

Also the type of film makes a difference. If you think of it like compressing a text file the more similarities in the text the more compression can be used. Similarly, the more action is in the film (or the more the scenes change and alter) the more space will be needed for an equally good encode.

I haven't used handbrake before but if it's anything like programs I've used before thereshould be an option to limit the file size; use this along with two-pass encoding and you should be good to go.

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick - yeah, I want to watch on a 51" TV! Fortunately, most of what I want is cartoons so I expect they can be squashed right the way down. I will have a play with what works best. :beerchug:

What's the benefit of two-pass encoding? Is it a similar idea to oversampling when you play a CD?

Thanks Nick - yeah, I want to watch on a 51" TV! Fortunately, most of what I want is cartoons so I expect they can be squashed right the way down. I will have a play with what works best. :beerchug:

What's the benefit of two-pass encoding? Is it a similar idea to oversampling when you play a CD?

Think of the first pass as a test run so the second pass knows what to do.

If you only do one pass it has to guess what bitrate to encode the entire clip in order to get a good quality encoding. With two-pass encoding it can change the bit-rate more intelligently so the pieces that need higher bitrates (the fast action or detailed sections) retain good quality whilst the less detailed sections can benefit from using less space in the finished file.

So two-pass and variable bit-rate and you should get a better finish all round.

If you have an option to change the audio settings that might be worth looking at too as they can take up a lot of space. If you're fine with 2 channel sound then that will take up a lot less room than full surround. MP4 is actually a container file which has two files inside it, one for audio and one for video. The audio can be either MP3 or AAC with MP3 preferred for smaller 2 channel files and AAC if you have more channels and want better quality audio.

Right, sun's out here so time to grab a beer and go sit in the garden :)

Nick

I looked at using some bloatware software that came with my computer that claimed it was ultra quick because it could use Intel's Quick Sync (CyberEspresso6.5). I was skeptical, but tried it out last night - it was unbelievably fast. Whole DVD (already ripped to hard drive) was encoded in mp4 at a good quality in 3 minutes. It will probably be worth paying for the whole product.

whats the quality like? suggest .mkv which supports hd and 5.1 sound. a 720p movie will be about 1.4gig

whats the quality like? suggest .mkv which supports hd and 5.1 sound. a 720p movie will be about 1.4gig

MKV and MP4 are both container files* that support 5.1 sound. The difference will be with what you put inside those containers. AAC sound would usually be used for 5.1 and MP3 for 2 channel, both of these can be used in MKV or MP4. MKV is being used more and more but compatibility isn't as strong as MP4. On the other hand MKV is open-source so it gets a vote from me for that reason.

*MKV is short for Matroska Video with mastroska being another version of matryoshka which are those russian dolls within dolls - hence why they used it to name a container file format - clever eh? :)

Nick

how does mp4 go with file size/resolution? i have had unpleasant experiences trying to get 5.1 in mp4, but could be my encoder, too...

I can't comment on the sound (my set up only uses the tv's speakers) but quality seemed good to me on 51" screen.

I found some freeware that claims to use Quick Sync so I'm going to have a go with that to find out if it is as good as the MediaEspresso - I have been put of the Espresso because of the pretty appalling reviews for support that Cyberlink gets.

FWIW I've always just used iso, the menus still work, they're a doddle to burn back to DVD and they're fast. With disk space being so cheap I've never bothered about encoding to compress them - well that and I'm impatient and encoding has always taken aaaaaages in my experience ;)

Although you say you can encode in under 3 mins, that's gotta be worth a look...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back