Store external data query information in variables instead of worksheet

LT

Board Regular
Greetings all.
I have nearly completed a series of subs and functions that retrieve data from multiple excel sheets, access, and a corporate database.

One of my end spreadsheets will have up to 100 lines of data in it once it is updated. Each line is information from a trouble ticket (the corporate database contains 10s of thousands of trouble tickets). Each line has a hyperlink to the trouble ticket it is related to.

Once done, I still have 3 pieces of data that are not present on each line. I cannot create a SQL query which will efficiently give me just the trouble tickets needed for those three pieces of data. My thinking is to create a SQL query which accepts each trouble ticket one at a time and retrieves the 3 needed pieces of data.

My research indicates I need to specify a destination on a worksheet for this data. I am prepared to create the query in VBA and place the data in a worksheet and retrieve it from there.

Is it possible to bypass using a worksheet, create the query in the VBA code and update specific variables (variable1, variable2, etc) with the data?

SQL = "Select var1, var2, var3 From Corpdatabase where ticketnum = " & ticketnum
variable1 = var1
variable2 = var2
variable3 = var3

I look forward to your answers. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Greetings Again
I exhausted all of the research that I could and could not find any references to executing an external query in VBA and storing the information in variables. The conclusion is that I can execute an external query from VBA, but have to create a table on a worksheet. It goes without saying I can use variables to collect the data from the worksheet and continue with my program.

Regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back