Stop counting days if another cell is populated

Charry118

Hi All,

First off, I am a self taught excel user, so some of my formulas may go around the world a bit!

I need some help with a spreadsheet I use on a regular basis.

The sheet is used to track customer complaints and how long the investigation takes to complete, therefore the following applies;
D column = Date Raised
E column = KPI Completion date (D1+7)
F column counts the actual number of days to complete the investigation using this formula... =DATEDIF(D1,TODAY(),"d")
Currently I have to manually write the final count in F when the investigation is closed out, however I would like this cell to stop counting when AB1 is "Yes"

I'm not sure if I will need to completely change the formula in the F column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would this use with Joe's formula?

Let's say that you had column Z as your close out date, and that is only populated when it is closed out.
Then you could change your formula to:
Code:
=DATEDIF(D1,IF(Z1>0,Z1,TODAY()),"d")

What this would do is if there is a value in Z1, it will use that in your date calculation. Otherwise, it will use the Current date.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
You've got two choices, really: either you have a separate cell that shows the closing date when the case is closed (you could have a date picker for this) and a formula in column F that freezes the date when a date is entered into the closing date column, or you convert the F cell to a value when that other column is populated, either manually or using a macro.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ali.

I'm unfamiliar with both options (limited knowledge of excel!)... however having a date picker "feels" like it might be the best solution for what I need (macros still scare me!:laugh:).
Any chance you could explain how to do this? Or point me in the right direction of a tutorial?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam1am

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back