STDEVA Match for large sheet.

jespo1351

Hello,

EXCEL 2013
is there a way to do a STDEVA with a Match function without an array? I'm looking for a formula in column C. I have a large set of data (9,000 rows, 1200+ different instances of column a) with an unknown amount of instances in column a. I want to match column A to column be to create a Standard Deviation. So if I copied all the lines down, each line for "a" will show a standard deviation of 17.41551, "b" will show 290.7066, etc...

Or if anyone knows a simpler solution to show the standard deviation for all my instances, I'm all ears.

Thank you so much
Column A Column B
a12
a18
a21
a51
a45
b85
b412
b4
b758
b54
b1
b2
c7
c5
c44
d22
d14
d52
d14
d52

<colgroup><col width="64" span="2" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Just a thought...Would it be easier to do a separate tab and have it find all the instances first? Then try to match and do standard deviation?

Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
2​
a
a
17.41551​
3​
a
b
290.7066​
4​
a
c
21.96209​
5​
a
d
19.62651​
6​
a
7​
b
8​
b
9​
b
10​
b
11​
b
12​
b
13​
b
14​
c
15​
c
16​
c
17​
d
18​
d
19​
d
20​
d
21​
d

In F2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=STDEVA(IF($A$2:$A$21=$E2,$B$2:$B$21))
STDEVA admits text and logical values in B2:B21, although your sample does not house such values.

Upvote 0
Doing an array formula like this for 9000 lines seems to take a long time to calculate. If it's the only resolution then I'll deal. Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0
Doing an array formula like this for 9000 lines seems to take a long time to calculate. If it's the only resolution then I'll deal. Thanks a bunch!

Are you trying to run the formula in column C
instead of in a separate area as I have done?

Upvote 0
Pretty much. I don't have a set # of values for column a and I don't know how to populate the list separately to create 1 line for each change. I could have 1200 different items in column A and the list can change every time I run it.

Is there a way to pull each item from column A into a separate area where there is only one line for each? I have done a sort in column A followed by a count with subtotal at the end. Then substituted " total" with "" on the grouped sum line. Copied the list them moved it. Did that even make sense? haha

Upvote 0
You can run Advanced Filter (with Unique records only checked) on the range column A from the location
where you want the list of unique items. Then run the suggested formula.

Upvote 0
Yes that isn't too bad. That brings my list to less than 1,000 different instances. It still temporarily freezes my computer when calculating with 8 processors but its not as bad. Thanks again Aladin!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back