Stamp Debate

All this discussion about the difference between the value in an appraisal, and the price someone is actually willing to pay, is relevant IF the question is, what exactly is something worth ? But that's not the question. The question is, IF there should be compensation, what should that compensation be based on ? For most everyday things, I agree that determining the exact value may be difficult, if not impossible. But we can usually at least agree a realistic range of prices.

Let's take the house in jeffreybrown's example, that he bought for $200,000.
Maybe an appraiser says it's worth $230,000.
Maybe some other appraiser says it's worth $220,000.
Maybe he can only ACTUALLY SELL it for $210,000.
I think it's reasonable to say that if is house is destroyed by a criminal act, then IF the criminal should pay compensation for that loss, then the compensation should be IN THE REGION of $210,000 to $230,000.
The difference between these two numbers is of no importance to this debate whatsover.
The point is, jeffreybrown's compensation should be linked to the price he would have to pay to restore him to the position he was in before the crime.

And I really think the purchase price is totally irrelevant here.
Consider these alternative ways he could have acquired the house.
1) He bought it, and paid $200,000.
2) He bought it 40 years ago, and paid $2,000 for it.
3) He bought it 5 years ago, and paid $300,000 for it, because the housing market was at a peak.
4) He bought it, and paid $500,000, because he really likes it alot, even though no-one else does, and also the vendor was a family friend and he wanted to do them a favour.
5) He won it in a poker game.
6) He didn't buy it, he built it himself, and he has no idea how much it cost.
7) He bought it using a currency that no longer exists (maybe unrealistic in the USA, but definitely possible in Europe, before the Euro)
8) He inherited it
9) He was given it as a gift
10) He got it through a bartering transaction, maybe exchanging it for some labour or some other commodities.
11) He acquired it somehow, but for personal reasons he does not want to divulge how he acquired it or what price (if any) he paid for it.
12) He bought it many years ago, and no longer remembers exactly how much he paid for it, or no longer has documents to support his recollection of how much he paid for it.

All of these are POSSIBLE ways that one could acquire things of value, even if they might be technically impossible ways of buying a HOUSE in the USA.
IF purchase price is everything, then the criminal would have to pay potentially vastly different compensation, and in some cases no compensation at all, or the amount of compensation could be absolutely impossible to determine (and not just impossible to determine precisely).

To me, this is self evidently wrong.

And consider as well - imagine there were two identical adjacent houses, acquired by different people at entirely different prices, but otherwise identical, that were both destroyed in the same criminal act.

Using the purchase price argument, the criminal would pay (possibly very) different amounts to each victim.

To me, this is also self evidently wrong.

And one/the solution, is to base compensation on re-instatement costs.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Just like the Phoenix the remaining stamp is the only one in the world and, as such, is now priceless - You owe me $50K

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="342"><colgroup><col width="342"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt;width:257pt" height="17" width="342">You can't do one thing. XLAdept</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Interesting... on a similar note, if I break a window in your house do I even need to pay at all? After all, the overall value of the house did not change...

Interesting... on a similar note, if I break a window in your house do I even need to pay at all? After all, the overall value of the house did not change...
Surely the overall value of the house is reduced by the value of the window (even if the value of the window is small relative to the house)? And the window might be a very expensive window - in which case I'm sure you would agree that breaking it reduces the value of the house?

And perhaps even more, perhaps breaking the window diminishes the value of the surrounding area, heightens the owners security concerns, increases their insurance premiums etc.

It does not affect the resale (appraised) value of the house.

A house valued at $200,000 will not go down in value because of one broken window. Ask anyone who does appraisals for a living; I think it's fairly obvious.

If we agree that the damager must pay in the amount of the current market value of the item he damaged, in this case he may be completely unobligated to pay. The owner cannot possibly sell the attached window by itself; so that has no market value. The house itself did not go down in value either.

It does not affect the resale (appraised) value of the house.

I beg to diasgree. Having been in the window manufacturing business for a while, and living in one of the most volatile real estate markets in the US (northern California), I can attest to the fact that broken windows will affect resale value. Sometimes far more than the window replacement itself would be worth, because the prospective owner has a niggling point that has to be conceded.

Anecdotally, I was in England as a kid and not knowing any better, drove a croquet ball like a golf ball, which then went through a 16th century leaded glass window at the estate where we were staying. I (my father) had to pay the full restoration/replacement cost for the window, which was more than a few hundred pounds, but it couldn't have been replaced with modern glass.

But that's probably an extreme example.

A house valued at $200,000 will not go down in value because of one broken window. Ask anyone who does appraisals for a living; I think it's fairly obvious.
Ok, so at what point does the value start going down? How many windows need to be broken before the appraiser re-thinks his/her estimate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back