Speed freak? Mouse or KB oriented user?

Are you a speed freak (move/use Excel faster than 98% of the people you meet)? Not talking about ty

• Yes: I use a combination of the keyboard and mouse about equally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: I use the mouse mostly

• No: I use the Keyboard mostly

• No: I use the mouse and keyboard equally

• No: I use the mouse the most

• Total voters
It's true, I'm pretty dumb and confused :)

Was thinking as I wrote it about alt+down arroe and then didn't type it and got my wires crossed with the auto-select thingy. Shame there's no built in button to remove autofilter though (changing the subject to something other than my ignorance).

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I used to use keyboard shortcuts wherever possible, but several of the add-ins I have installed don't have shortcuts as default, and I didn't want to start setting up obscure combinations of Alt+Shift+Ctrl, etc.

Actually, the keyboard shortcuts I use are mostly using ALT to access the menus. I also create a lot of add-ins. The way I get around that is to create new menus on my toolbars and not buttons, thus they are easily accessible by keyboard as well.

When the mouse really started catching on, I thought hard about switching. But I can literally do 3 things in the time it took for me to move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse (I use to touchtype over 120 wpm. Now I'm about 70 I'd guess) and get it into position.

Yes, there are certain things you have to use the mouse. Pivot Tables, graphs... but most things are accessible by keyboard.

Sorry, I didn't mean this poll as a slag on mouses. There's just no way you could have objects on your worksheet and do graphs without a mouse. The poll is meant solely about speed and getting things done.

For example, just moving around with Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] can't be beat if they'll take you where you want to go.

I like gingerafro's idea of listing tasks and indicating what you use. Wish I thought of that. The poll would be better for it. Maybe I (or someone else) will put up another poll after giving some thought on what would be good tasks.

I used to use Emacs. I remember when emacs users were laughing at dos WordPerfect and Word and what they were promoting as WYSIWYG. Gahhh!!!!

:)

...I use to touchtype over 120 wpm. Now I'm about 70 I'd guess...
-gwkenny
:o Even if you're "puttering" along at 70 wpm that beats the soup outta me. I can't recall exactly what my scores were back in high-school typing class but they sure as heck weren't 120 wpm! :o

...as a slag on mouses...
-gwkenny
<ul>[*]mouse --> mice[*]louse --> lice[*]house--> hice??? :-D[/list]

I'm a combo kinda guy, although it's probably more centered around the keyboard. I like my keyboard shortcuts. 8-)

And it's not necessarily a good thing to type 110+ wpm. I end up having to type up everyone's memos ("Oh, you're good with a keyboard? hehehe..")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back