Sort Capitalized words ahead of lower case

Chief_Fred

I've got a 96000 line spreadsheet with individual words or abbreviations in each cell of the first column. I need to sort it with numbers first, then Capitalized words, then lowercase words. The numbers aren't an issue but sorting the Caps first then lower case without getting words that have a cap in the middle is frying my tiny brain. Originally I dug around here and found a search for caps that returned a True/False then sorted the columns on the result. =MIN(--EXACT(Dict3,LOWER(Dict3)))=0 Then I found that I had abbreviations in the list like cGy and eV or cGMB that incorrectly showed up as true but weren't. Now I need a modification or a better answer. I tried a fw dozen things but obviously I'm barking up the wrong functions.:confused:

Help please

Fred

The comment was made purely as confirmation of your own statement. It was certainly not intended to be a put down.
No problem... I think I reacted off your choice of the words "will let you down".

I had noticed that your formula would return 1 for a lot of common non-letter, non-digits but not for all, such as ~ which returns 3.
That is because it was designed solely to work within the range of letters and numbers only (hence the specific lead-in warning).

Perhaps Fred will clarify.
Yes, I am hoping for that too.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
OK let me see if I can clarify. The cells should only start with a number or letter but as many of these are plucked from user dictionaries and I've actually found a "?" starting a cell - probably due to converting from Word or Word Perfect to UTF - they don't always. So running each of the suggestions here - and you folks don't know how much I appreciate your efforts, it would have taken me weeks of anger management counseling and much replacement equipment to get anywhere close - here's what I found.
JoMo's solution has trouble with mixed words (caps and lower case) and words with an ' returning "False" (lower case). It also calls a number lower case but calls blanks and ignores the "?" returning True if followed by a cap but "False" if followed by lower case
Snakehips returns a "2" for blanks and the "?"
Mikes original a "1" for both
Mikes modified by SH a "4" for blanks and a "1" for the "?"
Rick's "#Value!" for a blank and a "1" for the "?"
For a cell beginning with a "?" Snakehips returns a "2" and every other solution a "1"
I also tried a "~" and a "`" just to see what would be returned. Here's a look at the results as an unsorted table with SH solution first then JoMo, Mike, Mike's modified by SH and Rick.

zymosterol3FALSE333
?cGm2FALSE111
?Cv2TRUE111
?~Cv2TRUE111
?-cVg2FALSE111
~cV2FALSE113
~Cv2TRUE113
2TRUE14#VALUE!
`cGm2FALSE112
`Cgm2TRUE112
Abiological2TRUE222
Abbe's2FALSE222

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I hope that clarifies things. I do have another questions though.
How do I find the words with and apostrophe in them then move them one cell over for A to B? I was going to do it manually but Find tells me there are 3009 in the list. I did a Macro but it didn't work and it screwed the sorts up even though I specified the range as A1:A96389

Once again thanks a bunch. If you get top Texas I'm buying the BBQ Ribs!

Fred

Upvote 0
Okay then, what about this formula...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(LEFT(A1)),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789")),INT(CODE(LEFT(A1))/32.1),4)

Upvote 0
It still has a #Value! for a blank but works elsewhere. Here's this result on the test field I posted before
zymosterol3
?cGm4
?Cv4
?~Cv4
?-cVg4
~cV4
~Cv4
#VALUE!
`cGm4
`Cgm4
Abiological2
Abbe's2

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Fred

Upvote 0
It still has a #Value! for a blank but works elsewhere. Here's this result on the test field I posted before
zymosterol
?cGm
?Cv
?~Cv
?-cVg
~cV
~Cv
#VALUE!
`cGm
`Cgm
Abiological
Abbe's

<tbody>
</tbody>

Fred

Sorry, I forgot about the blank. Give this a try (you will need to copy/paste it because of the "œ" character...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(LEFT(A1)),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789 ")),INT(CODE(LEFT(A1&"œ"))/32.1),4)

Upvote 0
Fred,

Try the following to shift text containing apostrophe from Col A to Col B.

Code:
Sub MoveApostrophes()
Dim MyRange As Range
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Set MyRange = Range("A1:A96389")
For Each Cell In MyRange
If InStr(1, Cell, "'") Then
Cell.Offset(0, 1) = Cell
Cell.Value = ""
End If
Next Cell
ErrHandler:
On Error GoTo 0
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

It might take a minute or so to run but hopefully ok and beats manual.
I have included your stated range as a fixed but you could easily code to give the dynamic end of the range if you wish.

Upvote 0
"Sorry, I forgot about the blank. Give this a try (you will need to copy/paste it because of the "œ" character...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(LEFT(A1)),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789 ")),INT(CODE(LEFT(A1&"œ"))/32.1),4)"

Yep that worked perfectly
Fred

Upvote 0
Snakehips said
:It might take a minute or so to run but hopefully ok and beats manual.
I have included your stated range as a fixed but you could easily code to give the dynamic end of the range if you wish."

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much, I would never have worked that out.! I spent 19 years in England mostly around Mildenhall but some in Newbury, if we take that trip back we've been discussing I'll buy a pint or three at your local!
Fred

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back