Somewhat arbitrary, but noticed...

The admins here would do well to remember that everyone here gives their time freely. The experts do it because they like helping people. Give a little recognition back to the experts - it costs nothing apart from time (setting up the user roles in the Admin options - two minute job) - but the ramifications of NOT doing it are far-reaching. By removing the "Board Master" title and not replacing it, you have effectively demoted every single senior member (ie 1,000 posts) on here with apparantly no thought on the impact.

Adaytay, I am sure that "The Admins" are well aware that people devote their time freely.

The issue, if I understand it correctly, is that the title "Board Master" (and "Board Guru" for that matter) tend to allude to a form of expert level of skill with Excel/Access etc.... It is potentially rather misleading to other "members" if this title can be attainable on sheer volume of posts alone, with no measure (even subjective opinions of others) of the quality (or even relevance) of those posts. Technically, you could be a "Guru" for posting 1000 jokes in the Lounge.....

Personally I don't feel "demoted" :ROFLMAO: The words over my avatar have just changed - so what!

OK, here's the deal -- Board Master is/was a designation that was bestowed upon 100 posts. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself.

However, there were, and very recently, cases where board members achieved 100 posts by asking for help *only* [ rarely giving advice ], and by multiple postings to their own threads over rather short periods of time.

These were the problem; seemingly giving them the MrExcel stamp of approval, as it were, when the member in fact had little practical knowledge of Excel/VBA/Access.

So far, the only fix has been a blanket reduction in titles. I'm not sure that there is a way around it that wouldn't require a lot of time from the mods...

Von Pookie,

Thanks for the explanation on the MVP thing. The board master designation was a little misleading, since it was only 100 posts. In light of the work required by mod's, to make changes to the board, to do any type of scoring, could we not have thresholds of posts, where moderater's would then review the post's of a person, and assign a designation from a set of designations that were pre assigned. So, when a person hit's 500 posts, then 1000, 1500,etc... This would just be a key to review a person's posts, and upgrade a title if warrented? You would only need to review a portion of post's to determine if the recieve a change or not.
Just my thoughts, I've recently started posting to a board with scoring, and I'm enjoying watching myself move through the ranks. Haven't made a lot of posts here for the last few weeks I'm afraid.

Cal

adaytay said:
Why not adopt a slightly different naming convention - say for 1,000 posts or more give a special "Board Guru" title - IOW give a little something back to the members that go out of their way to help others?

I was awarded "VIP" status on another site and this was a massive boost. Especially considering that it actually recently helped me secure an interview - it was tangible proof that I was more than capable of doing the position I was applying for.

To add on to what Will and Jon have already said in response to your post, there is a difference in being actually "awarded" the status, or just having a title change when hitting a certain post count. I'm just trying to keep the line between the two from blurring, not actually "demote" anyone.

For example, the "MrExcel MVP" title is not achieved by having 5000 posts, but by people noticing the help you have given here on the board. I actually have to go in and set those titles manually.

On the other hand, any title beginning with the word "Board" has *always* been completely related to post count alone.

adaytay said:
The admins here would do well to remember that everyone here gives their time freely.

It would also do well to remember that one of the admins (namely me) and every single one of the moderators do so as well and do not work for MrExcel in any way, shape or form. We are all well aware of the time that has gone into a board such as this.

adaytay said:
The experts do it because they like helping people. Give a little recognition back to the experts - it costs nothing apart from time (setting up the user roles in the Admin options - two minute job) - but the ramifications of NOT doing it are far-reaching. By removing the "Board Master" title and not replacing it, you have effectively demoted every single senior member (ie 1,000 posts) on here with apparantly no thought on the impact.

I know that I am only a "junior" member on this board - but you should hear what everyone has to say. I trust you will make the right decision and either reinstate the title or create additional titles to really give these experts the recognition they deserve.

There has never been an actual designation between "junior" and "senior" members. To my knowledge, no one has really been concerned. Again, titles for post counts are really just for fun. It's not actually necessary to have them.

It should also be noted, however, that I have never said this was a permanent change. It's true it doesn't take long to change (just plug in the words in the form), but if I can come up with some titles that would a) not offend anyone (like the old "Board Addict" title) and b) not have the chance of being misunderstood (i.e. "Master" or "Guru"), I will put them in. However, this is not really one of my top priorities at the moment.

For the meantime, it will stay as "Board Regular" with only the stars under the title changing with the post count.

adaytay said:
I was awarded "VIP" status on another site and this was a massive boost.
The process looks fairly similar Ad:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Number=429155

UA Admin said:
The VIP Status is assigned and controlled exclusively by the Administrators here at Utter Access ....

The VIP Status has absolutely nothing to do with how many post a member has accumulated or specific knowledge with Access or any other application ... although it is factored into the formula.
Basically ... it has to do with a member "unselfishly going way beyond the normal" to help people here at Utter Access ...

That is, a subjective system which ultimately is determined by the Site's Administrators and is not solely based on post count. 1000 posts does not necessarily equate to 'guru'. In fact, the system implemented to determine the 'VIP' status there may be less collaborative than the process we employ here (not that I have an issue with this)... And I'd be very hesitant to compare the two sites.

Congratulations regarding your interview. I know I wish the best for our members here and members contributions are appreciated. :)

I just happened to check in and saw this post (and mention of me) and thought it would be rude not to respond.

Thanks to all for the vote of confidence! It's appreciated and that's more of a Christmas present/honor than a title could confer anyway.

I noticed that I was a Board Regular and that my "." was gone, but that was today, if that's any indication of what title means to me. (For the history, when I hit 1,000, I asked Juan to remove the star because I didn't feel "worthy", as I don't get to Excel all the time, just as much as I can...)

I agree that there's no number of posts that should/could qualify you for a designated "level of expertise". In addition, who's to make the distinction between the different aspects of a member's skill. I.E. Some "Excel" at VBA, some at formulas, some at both. Does the one who excels at both outweigh the other two? I think that's up to the other MVP's to decide.

I like a certain level of "experience/contribution-quotient-level-titling", but that's more because of the degree of self-confidence that I think it can give to people, especially "newer" members. I.E. Hey I'm a Board Regular now; I guess now I have the validation to start actually answering questions instead of just asking them...

Take care y'all and have a wonderful Christmas!

Smitty

P.S. Does that mean that Aladin lost his "other" and is now just "Regular" too? :devilish:

I agree with the majority on this one too. A name or level of competancy should not be equated with a quantity of posts. This does give quite a false impression when people look or ask for help.

I think I am a very good example of that. I might have some stars, but that doesn't make me a 'master' or 'guru'. Besides, that's in the eye of the beholder anyway. My opinion of Smitty is not the same as Smitty's opinion of Smitty.

I do like how TSG will let you create your own 'Experience field' in your UserCp. That makes it quite personal - but not for everybody (they are also using vBulletin software and not phpBB).

Kristy (imho) does quite a fair job of keeping this board going and focused. I do see, as well do others I'm sure, most of the work the Mod's do. And it is a fair amount of time that needs to be put into this forum to keep it 'on track'.

Anyway, I don't want to rant. I do still think the MVP's should be making Smitty one. ;)

I hope everybody has a great holiday season (if ya'll celebrate it). Take care!

Kristy and others do a Great job! :pray: The Peter principle has finally worked for me. I am a master no more...sort of suits me well. My 1st foray to version 2.0. Is the .0 a scare tactic? Mess up again and we'll move to .1 :biggrin: Health and happiness to all in the Holiday Season. I would also like to vote for Smitty even though my now regular master vote probably won't count. Dave

Personally I hadn't noticed the change until I came into the lounge and saw this thread.

The little titles to me are meaningless, I come here for help and to possibly help other people if it doen't strain my meager knowledge of excel and VB.

Although I can see the point of recognizing the people with the monster post counts because often as not they have been giving freely of their time and knowledge to the benefit of one and all. I can also understand the reluctance of the mods/admin to do this as it could seem to put pressure on those people to perform and that is not the reason for being here.

Sorry for rambling

Warren

All,

I must have been having a bad week that day :oops: I think I spoke a little out of turn, for which I apologise.

At the end of the day all I meant to say was "wouldn't it be nice if...". I'll leave it at that I think!

Have a good day all,

Ad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back