Somewhat arbitrary, but noticed...

immyjimmy

It seems that when I started here so long ago, I was "Welcome to the board". Then I soon became a "Board Regular". After 100 posts, I noticed a change to "Board Master" even though I'm barely master of my own domain (appologies to Seinfeld fans). Today, I see I'm back to "Board Regular". Was it something I said? :LOL:

Jim

No, the "Board Master" title was changed for everybody; it wasn't anything personal.

Basically, there has been some mention lately that the title of "Board Master" can/is implying that the person is an actual "master" of Excel or the board itself, other than the simple rank title for x number of posts that it is.

I just changed it all to "Board Regular" to keep it simple. We tried having some "fun" ranks before, but some people took offense to them.

The little stars that show up under the titles depending on the number of posts are still in place, however.

Jim

You should think yourself lucky.
I haven't dropped the kids off at the pool for the last week.
Boy does it hurt.

Smitty is still Board Master - but he is special. :biggrin: He deserves it (truth be told, he's MVP material!! But this is well known).

He is? ...oh, ok. Looks like he's got a "special" title I didn't notice before. If I remember correctly, he just didn't want any stars under his name?

Right. He thinks he's nothing special. Ha!! (For all you MVP's reading this - he's worthy!) Ok, my 2¢. :biggrin:

Noted (y)

Actual "nominations" are pretty sporadic, however. There's no set timetable or anything ;)

Smitty's got my vote. Of course going forward with that, how does one become an MVP? I know this question has been batted around before, but I don't think it was ever answered. What's the criteria, or is it just an arbitrary thing that a few decide?(I don't care if it is, but would like to know if that's the case) I'm not even a board master anymore!! :eek: I enjoy helping people, but recognition for said help would be nice as well.(Sorry Smitty, unlike you, I enjoy pointless gratification! :biggrin:)

Cal

Cbrine said:
Of course going forward with that, how does one become an MVP? I know this question has been batted around before, but I don't think it was ever answered. What's the criteria, or is it just an arbitrary thing that a few decide?(I don't care if it is, but would like to know if that's the case)

Basically, one of the current MVPs gets it in their head to nominate someone based on the posts they've seen by said person here on the board, followed by some discussion on the matter, a brief break for cake and punch, then the discussion continues. Not much to it. :)

I'm not even a board master anymore!! :eek: I enjoy helping people, but recognition for said help would be nice as well.

The thing is, the "Board Master" title wasn't recognition for anything. It's just a title for having x number of posts. Same thing with the stars under the titles. Whether your posts are helpful or not has never mattered for the "Board" titles. We just plug the titles into the form for say, 1000 posts, and when a person hits that number, their title automatically changes.

It's not really that involved.

Why not adopt a slightly different naming convention - say for 1,000 posts or more give a special "Board Guru" title - IOW give a little something back to the members that go out of their way to help others?

I was awarded "VIP" status on another site and this was a massive boost. Especially considering that it actually recently helped me secure an interview - it was tangible proof that I was more than capable of doing the position I was applying for.

The admins here would do well to remember that everyone here gives their time freely. The experts do it because they like helping people. Give a little recognition back to the experts - it costs nothing apart from time (setting up the user roles in the Admin options - two minute job) - but the ramifications of NOT doing it are far-reaching. By removing the "Board Master" title and not replacing it, you have effectively demoted every single senior member (ie 1,000 posts) on here with apparantly no thought on the impact.

I know that I am only a "junior" member on this board - but you should hear what everyone has to say. I trust you will make the right decision and either reinstate the title or create additional titles to really give these experts the recognition they deserve.

Ad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back