Solar panels (UK based)

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
Anyone in the UK installed solar panels on their roof and care to comment on their experience/what it cost/who installed them and whether you would do it again?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
There are plenty of 'free' panels in Hampshire. There are panels powering lots of the road signs. :)

On a more serious note; whilst I have no idea about cost; my Dad installed panels himself, but to avoid complexity in having it power the general electrical circuit in the house he uses it to only power the boiler. Heating boilers cost a heck of a load so it's a real money saver...

My next door neighbour put his own in. Hilarious to watch, and it then rained for about a week, as it's England.

Unless he was a professional MCS-approved installer you'd have to be an idiot to do it yourself (or like chucking money down the drain) because you wouldn't get the FIT payments.

In our area, if your house meets some criteria, you can get free solar panels fitted. I haven't (I don't think my tiny roof would be be big enough for a start) but a few of my friends and some work folks have had them fitted and have already seen small benefits. I suppose the big test will come in winter :)

What do you folks spend per kWHr for electricity? Or do you buy in MJ?

If I remember right, when I looked at doing it on my house (a rental) two years ago a 5-7 KW system was $28-30,000 US (and that was without any rebates or tax credits). We would have done it, but the landlord was worried who would pay if we upped and left...

I have in mind it is about £0.12 per kWh

About the same in South Africa... Bear in mind though that a good salary here is about a third of a good salary in UK...

It's a good thing I don't work here. :) 8 months holiday in SA vs 4 months work in UK. Life is good! :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back