So Many Spreadsheets

I've got a finance department that regularly uses a calculator and enters the result into the spreadsheet.

Seen THAT quite a few times. If you want some woreshipping offer them to automate some of their tasks - then enter - where they can't see you - such complicated formulas as the one mentioned by Cbrine in the appropriate cells and return the wb to them - the look on their faces when everyhing updates automatically is reward enough...

...until they start checking the results using their beloved calculator...

:oops:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I've got a finance department that regularly uses a calculator and enters the result into the spreadsheet.

So I'm not the only one who has witnessed this!! :ROFLMAO:

...until they start checking the results using their beloved calculator...

Ha this just happened to me. I did a sheet for our lunch time poker games!! :biggrin: I did a simple difference between point column, so #1 position is ahead of #2 by x points. One of our geophysicists couldn't figure out what the column meant. He did the math himself and the numbers did not match, they were out by 0.001……. And the computer surely couldn’t do the math wrong…

I was so surprised that I did not even get to explain the sheet was set to display only two decimal places…

Good times, good times!!

Last edited:
In a previous life I used to teach Excel courses for the employees of the company I worked for. One day I was passing by the cube of one of my co-workers (who had attended my training). I watched as she was putting "borders" around a bunch of cells using the line-drawing tool. She must have spent hours doing this. Then she did an autofit to her columns. The lines she drew no longer bordered the cells. She did an almost exact imitation of John Belushi in Animal House when the guy dropped the box of whiskey.

Mrs VoG works freelance for a number of promotions/merchandising companies. She's just done some work for a new company and was e-mailed a spreadsheet to complete for her hours worked. This contains minimal formatting, no protection, no validation and no formulas. So, for example, she has to enter hours worked under Mon, Tue, Wed ... and then manually enter the total hours in a Total hours cell.

But it gets worse. Does she now save and e-mail the spreadsheet back? No - she has to print it out and post it. And, presumably, some poor sod at the other end then has to enter her data in another spreadsheet. The mind boggles :unsure:

I can't even believe how many people think this is a great idea... Why do you want a calculator when you're using Excel? :confused:

Sounds like we all work with those kinds

reminds me of the movie Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, Butch and Sundance wondering where they are going to be ambushed while going to the bank to pick up the payroll. LOL

I can't even believe how many people think this is a great idea... Why do you want a calculator when you're using Excel? :confused:
Someone has explained me the reason of the usage of calculator by bosses and top managers.
Some of them don't prefer or even can’t use the keyboard!
Seems that the virtual keyboard will be more suitable in this case :)
Rich (BB code):
<font face=Courier New>
Sub Auto_Open()
  Shell "osk.exe"
End Sub</FONT>

Oh, I see - it should be happened here… :eek:

Peter, I could post a code for pop-up of MS Calc by the double clicking on numerical cells of Excel for editing its value in Calc. Surely, it is the tool for Big Bosses only ;)
But where is the proper place for that, here or may be on the thread you've underlined?

Oh, I see - it should be happened here… :eek:

Peter, I could post a code for pop-up of MS Calc by the double clicking on numerical cells of Excel for editing its value in Calc. Surely, it is the tool for Big Bosses only ;)
But where is the proper place for that, here or may be on the thread you've underlined?

I think here - that was a rather old thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back