Sharing Add-in Problem

tquist

Board Regular
I am having trouble sharing an Excel Add-in I've created which contains three macros (modules). I have looked everywhere but, oddly, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I would like for people to be able to install the add-in, and have access to three macros which it contains.

What is the best solution to this problem? I would like to add buttons to the add-in ribbon that execute each macro individually. The macros should be available to all workbooks once the add-in is installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I am having trouble sharing an Excel Add-in I've created which contains three macros (modules). I have looked everywhere but, oddly, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I would like for people to be able to install the add-in, and have access to three macros which it contains.

What is the best solution to this problem? I would like to add buttons to the add-in ribbon that execute each macro individually. The macros should be available to all workbooks once the add-in is installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

I had the same problem I found a good sample here
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html

Let me know if you need any help modifying it

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply!

I found some code that will add in command buttons to the "Add-ins" ribbon. It still doesn't want to execute my macros though. Any thoughts on why this isn't working correctly?

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_AddinInstall()
Dim PopulateTable As CommandBarButton
Dim CreateChart As CommandBarButton
Dim TableFrame As CommandBarButton
On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("Box Plot Utility").Delete
Set TableFrame = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls.Add
With TableFrame
.Caption = "Create Table Outline"
.Style = msoButtonCaption
.OnAction = "TableFrame"
.TooltipText = "Creates a table pre-formatted to work with the Box Plot Utility.  Do NOT disturb the formatting beyond adding additional columns or errors will likely occur!"
End With
Set PopulateTable = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls.Add
With PopulateTable
.Caption = "Populate Table"
.OnAction = "TableFrame"
.TooltipText = "Calculates statistics and produces data necessary to create a box-and-whisker chart.  Make sure that the cell with the fiscal year label is selected before issuing this command!"
End With
Set CreateChart = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls.Add
With CreateChart
.Caption = "Create Box Plot"
.OnAction = "BoxPlotCreator"
.TooltipText = "Creates a box-and-whisker chart. Make sure that the top-left cell of the title bar is selected before issuing this command!"
End With
Set TableFrame = Nothing
Set PopulateTable = Nothing
Set CreateChart = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_AddinUninstall()
On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("Box Plot Utility").Delete
End Sub

This code is added to the "Thisworkbook" part of my .xlam add-in which contains the three macro modules. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Not sure I tried changing the sub and assigning it to a button and it worked fine. For what ever reason the Addininstall Event is not firing

Here's some sample code I got from the microsoft help file

Code:
<code>Private Sub Workbook_[B]AddinInstall[/B]()     

With Application.Commandbars("Standard").Controls.Add         
     .Caption = "The AddIn's menu item"         
     .OnAction = "'ThisAddin.xls'!Amacro" 
End With 
End Sub</code>
But even that doesn't work

Upvote 0
I figured out what was wrong. the "Worksheet Menu Bar" is the default bar in Excel 2003 (File, Edit,... ) I'm not sure if there is one in 2007. What you wan to do is create a whole new toolbar. I tried it out and it seems to work fine. I hope you don't mind I rewrote your code to match the example that I linked to earlier.(I was having trouble getting it to work to I tried the one that I knew would)

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_AddinInstall()

Dim iCtr As Long

Dim MacNames As Variant
    Dim CapNamess As Variant
    Dim TipText As Variant
    Dim Toolbarname As String

Toolbarname = "Custom Toolbar"
    MacNames = Array("TableFrame", _
                     "PopulateTable", _
                        "BoxPlotCreator ")

CapNamess = Array("Create Table Outline", _
                      "Populate Table", _
                      "Create Box Plot")

TipText = Array("Creates a table pre-formatted to work with the Box Plot Utility.  Do NOT disturb the formatting beyond adding additional columns or errors will likely occur!", _
                    "Calculates statistics and produces data necessary to create a box-and-whisker chart.  Make sure that the cell with the fiscal year label is selected before issuing this command!", _
                    "Creates a box-and-whisker chart. Make sure that the top-left cell of the title bar is selected before issuing this command!")

With Application.CommandBars.Add(Toolbarname)
        .Left = 200
        .Top = 200
        .Protection = msoBarNoProtection
        .Visible = True
        .Position = msoBarFloating

For iCtr = LBound(MacNames) To UBound(MacNames)
           With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
                .OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!" & MacNames(iCtr)
                .Caption = CapNamess(iCtr)
                .FaceId = 71 + iCtr
                .TooltipText = TipText(iCtr)
            End With
        Next iCtr
    End With
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_AddinUninstall()
    Dim Toolbarname As String

Toolbarname = "Custom Toolbar"
    On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars(Toolbarname).Delete
End Sub

Upvote 0
Andrew,

Thanks for the code - that looked much cleaner than what I was using. Unfortunately, I'm still having the issue of new workbooks being unable to access the macros embedded within the add-in. If I import the modules into a new workbook, I can execute them - but I wouldn't want others to have to do that. I can't figure out why the reference isn't working! This is driving me nuts!

Thank you again for your help...

Upvote 0
It sounds like your macros may reference the add-in workbook instead of the active workbook. Link the code for the macros and I could tell you where the error is.

Upvote 0
Andrew,

I think I just resolved the issue - although it's a little confusing as to why it worked. When I reference the macro from the control button, I have to refer to it as follows:

Code:
MacNames = Array("TableFrame.TableFrame", _
                     "TablePopulator.TablePopulator", _
                        "BoxPlotCreator.BoxPlotCreator ")

As you can see, I have to write the name of the macro twice, separated by a period. Not sure why, but this seems to resolve the issue.

I really appreciate your help and if I run into further problems, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Tom

Upvote 0
Interesting...shows how little I know about this stuff! Hopefully I'll get more efficient as I roll along. Thanks again for your help!

Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back