Setting NumberFormat for a cell via a VBA function

elisag

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'd like to be able to set the display format of data for a cell (for example the caller cell) via a VBA function and I've found posts around the internet that seem to suggest it to be feasible and indeed it is feasible via a macro on a hardcoded cell (for example cell A1) but all my attempts to do it via a function (or a sub that the function calls) have failed. In my code I'm not getting any error, but apparently my setting of NumberFormat seems to be ignored. The fact that setting NumberFormat is ignored is not completely true because when in the string format I provide is present the percent character such as in "0.00%" the new NumberFormat is indeed applied but this is the only case where the thing works. I have also tried using the trick/workaround of invoking the evaluate function to call a sub that sets the NumberFormat for the desidered cell but it does not allow achieving the intended result.

Below is an example code I used in one of the many attempts I made.

VBA Code:
Function SetFormatFunction()

SetFormatSub Application.Caller, 1.1111

End Function

Private Sub SetFormatSub(cell As Range, val As Double)

cell.NumberFormat = "0.0;[Red]-0.0;0;na;"
    cell.Style.NumberFormat = "0.0;[Red]-0.0;0;na;"

End Sub

Can you name any native Excel function that does that?
That formats the cell that you put it in?

I think we both know that the answer is "No".
So why would you expect your own custom Function to do that?
To have some property that the native Excel functions do not?
@Joe4, I don't have a holistic knowledge of Excel to be able to provide an answer to your question, but @Joe4 and @RoryA thank you both for challenging me and providing inputs to move my attempts further on. I was able to find a way to make the thing work.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
@Joe4, I don't have a holistic knowledge of Excel to be able to provide an answer to your question, but @Joe4 and @RoryA thank you both for challenging me and providing inputs to move my attempts further on. I was able to find a way to make the thing work.
You are welcome.
Yes, I got the impression that much of it might have just been an unfamiliarity with the different forms of Excel VBA code and what they are used for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back