Self-contained Access executable

spectraflame

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is it posssible to create a MS Access database that contains the necessary information in the .EXE to function without having MS Access installed on the PC? The reason for asking is that I have created a database that several people would like to run, but they do not have MS Access.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Yes, it definately is possible, and not that hard. You can use Access to set up your tables, and ultimately, an .mdb file will house all your data. Even though the data is stored in the .mdb file, you don't need Access to read and write to the data.
You can use Visual Basic 6.0 to create an executable that refers to the tables in the .mdb file. The VB front-end is similar to Access, in that it allows you to create forms that will link to a record source set in the objects properties.
There's a few really neat things about VB 6.0 that you dcan't do in Access. You drop-combo, listboxes, etc. have lots more properties to play with. The rules of form construction are also more leniant. It is a breeze to have a VB form covered with listboxes and dropcombos all linked to different data sources. There's lots more, but I could go on and on about the pluses of building your db using an executable instead of an mdb. Of course, I forgot the most obvious, and thats that you can take the database anywhere, you just need the .mdb file to hold the tables, and an .exe to hold the forms and code.
One downside to creating dbs in VB is the lack of query help. In order to query in VB, you will need to have that query already built in the .mdb file. That doesn't seem like a big problem, but, that means no dynamic criteria. The SQL in any query that is in the .mdb file can not change. So if you have a query that sets a criteria from a textbox on a form, you can no put that in the .mdb file. It won't pick up the value from the textbox.
The only way to achieve a dynamic query in access in to either hard code it in as code with variables getting their value from the .exe's forms, or set the rowsource property of the object you wish to populate with the appropriate SQL.

HTH,

Upvote 0
...also...

btw there is such a thing as Access runtime version which is distributable. You need a licence for MOD2000 (Microsoft Office Developer 2000).

Upvote 0
enjoyed your post and searched the msdn library but can't find any help on how to do it exactly. already have the .mdb (database) created.

would appreciate a little more insight. this will and be a lot better than having the Access app load up each time.

Catch you on the flipside :)

Upvote 0
Hey,

In order to develop an .exe like I described, you need to buy VB 6.0 (or whatever the latest version is). However, I was not aware that you could develop an Access database that would be a run-time as dmckinney described. I would definately be interested in learning more about this as it sounds considerably easier than developing an .exe using VB.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
used to dabble in basic

had go to windows

got vb6

tried different techniques with it but not having any luck :(

if someone knows the answer please post me a few lines

catch you on the flipside :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zxhathust

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back