Select Workbook and Worksheet in Vlookup Macro

tinydancer

I have a macro that runs a vlookup. It's tailored not to overwrite cells that already have text in them and only carry over found values to blank cells. At the moment it simply goes looking for these values on another sheet in the same workbook called "Lookup_Sheet".

Code:
Sub Vlookup44()                                                                                                                 
Dim i As Integer                                                                                                                
Dim stVal As String                                                                                                             
Dim lastRow As Long                                                                                                            
On Error GoTo err_handler                                                                                                      
lastRow = Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row                                                                                 
For i = 2 To lastRow                                                                                                           
    If IsEmpty(Range("Q" & i)) Then                                                                                            
        stVal = Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(Range("E" & i).Value, Sheets("Lookup_Sheet").Range("E:T"), 13, False)     
        On Error Resume Next                                                                                                   
        Range("Q" & i) = stVal                                                                                                 
    End If                                                                                                                     

If IsEmpty(Range("R" & i)) Then
        stVal = Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(Range("E" & i).Value, Sheets("Lookup_Sheet").Range("E:T"), 14, False)
        On Error Resume Next
        Range("R" & i) = stVal
    End If

If IsEmpty(Range("S" & i)) Then
        stVal = Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(Range("E" & i).Value, Sheets("Lookup_Sheet").Range("E:T"), 15, False)
        On Error Resume Next
        Range("S" & i) = stVal
    End If

If IsEmpty(Range("T" & i)) Then
        stVal = Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(Range("E" & i).Value, Sheets("Lookup_Sheet").Range("E:T"), 16, False)
        On Error Resume Next
        Range("T" & i) = stVal
    End If
Next
Exit Sub
err_handler:
    MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

What I want is to be able to run the code and let me select the file the vlookup pulls from. Essentially it would take me to My Computer and I would click on the excel workbook I want and then I would select the exact worksheet that I want to use for the vlookup. I would really appreciate any and all help I can get on this one.

@dmt32 I have no idea what yours is doing. It has me running a macro within a macro and when I go to select a sheet it simply does nothing when I click on it, not even an error.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
@dmt32 I have no idea what yours is doing. It has me running a macro within a macro and when I go to select a sheet it simply does nothing when I click on it, not even an error.

The test code calls the function to display the GetOpenFile dialog. When you open a workbook it should pass an instance of worksheet "LookUp_Sheet" from that workbook to your VlookUp44 code which as I stated, is largely unaltered from your published code save for the sheet qualifications.

I was not able to test solution but if code does not work would be helpful if you place copy of your workbooks with sample data in a dropbox & provide link.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back