Seeking suggestions for an alternate browser.

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
OK, my old, tired home desktop is now having a pickle of a time connecting to the internet. Formerly I would use NetScape when IE started misbehavin'. But now Netscape is also having tantrums. I'm thinking that [if I can get the ruddy thing to actually connect] I would download an alternate browser and give that a spin and see if I can at least get a reliable connection that-a-way. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I really like Mozilla Firefox. It handles a lot of formatting stuff better than IE or Netscape, plus it's open source, if you're into that. It's also gaining in popularity, especially with hacker types like us. See what Albino Blacksheep has to say about it. I can't find ABS's stats, on the sote right now, but last time I checked, of the several millins hits they had during th elast time they collecte dstats, Firefox was the second most popular browser... and increasing.

I've been using Firefox for quite a while now and have been very impressed. I'm not sure it takes up any less resources though.

I currently use Firefox exclusively at home (am religated to IE at work) and have had few problems. I does seem to be a memory hog if left open for extended periods of time (begins to use more and more memory) but overall I am happy with its extensibility versus IE. I've also used Opera in the past as a 2nd browser.

Good luck.

Owen

Firefox is a beaut'. I use it at home. I would at work but.... you know how that goes.

Firefox. 100%. I am not allowed to use it at the FD, but that is because of other reasons (mostly because I'm the only one who wants it, and they won't support a group policy if there is only one person requesting it). If I have a choice, it is by far Firefox. I've used other browsers, but with everything that Firefox has become, I love it. I like the add-ons as well. WizzRSS, del.icio.us, upgraded tabbed browsing, download manager, instant weather updates, developer tools, you name it they have it. Plus I'm a big fan of open source software. :)

Kinda sounds repetitive but... Firefox is my preferred browser. I also use IE 7 and that's a big improvement on earlier versions. But the most important improvement -- tabbed browsing -- only came out when Firefox did it first.
As I see it at the moment, FF does something, IE tries to follow.

Denis

FWIW...
For a (small) usage sample -- my site, top 15 user agents this month, I got the following:
IE 6 -- 31%
IE 7 -- 26%
FF 2 -- 22%
The rest were search bots.

Broader net stats, I know FF is now over 10% and has been for a year or more. Can't find the exact figures at the moment.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back