Search

My point is this. If a keyword is in a topic, the chances that the post relating to that topic relate to that keyword are much greater than just finding a word in a message and having that message really relate to it. The search page is defined as searching for "keywords", and to me any command, instruction, whatever is a key word. In the example, many topics do contain MsgBox and most of them do relate to using that command, but of the 4000 plus post that contain that keyword, very few really relate to it, it is used only in passing. by the way, MsgBox is only an example, it could be any Keyword.

The topic name, I know many do not define them well, but many do. Should I search a keyword in topics only, and not find any listed, or not find my answer, I may then opt to search topics and messages, but I would have that option, and on many many occasions, I would find my answer rapidly, saving my having to post a question that has already been posted before, which I did twice this weekend because I could not come up with the answrer searching for it.

On a slightly related topic (searching that is)

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 39 bytes) in /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/search.php on line 320

When I try to search for 'Merge Cells'.

I've been having this problem off and on for the past week.

I get that on about 3 out of 5 searches I try, also. I figgure it to be a problem with the new board and think I even read a post to that affect at one time. One of those "to be solved" things.

So, topic = subject ? then yes, that's possible.. I have the hack, just no time to put it in..

Fatal error... that's a problem with phpBB... they don't know how to fix it, so, we're stuck with it.

Sorry about the confusion in terms, I chose the term "Topic" because the button you select to get there is "New Topic" and because on the search page the option is for searching "Topic Title and Message Text" or Message Text only. I do see that Subject may have been a better choice of words since in the post, that is what the line is called. My appology for the confusion, my friend.

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=202490#202490

I tend to get that "Fatal error" message from the search page if I type in something that brings back (I'm assuming) more results than the software can handle displaying. 'Merge cells' would be under this description (think about it...how many times does the word "cells" come up here every day? ;) ). However, if I change the keyword to: merge AND cells I get a result of 240 matches.

elgringo:

I know what a line feed/carriage return is, I just have never seen that "lf/cr" thing before. I get it now :)

As for your example, I did the following searches:

Search 1

Settings
Keywords: "message box" AND line feed
Forum: Excel Questions
Search: topic title and message text

Results: 'Search found 17 matches'
Threads in results that seem relavent: 1

Search 2

Settings
Keywords: "message box" AND carriage return
(other settings the same)

Results: 'Search found 25 matches'.
Threads in results that seem relavent: 3

Search #3

Settings
Keywords: msgbox AND line feed
(other settings the same as previous)

Results: 'Search found 8 matches'
Threads in results that appear relavent: 4

Very good, Kristy. I duplicated your efforts and found this. In each search, the thread found containing the answer I needed had msgbox in its "subject". Searching on "msgbox" only, did, in fact have all of these "hits" within its 4000 plus returns. Point: The keyword search on msgbox would have found an answer had I been able to search only "subjects". And, I would not have had to think up some combination of words to get there. By the way, I am not trying to be difficult here, I enjoy a good debate. I wish others would input their thoughts on this one as I think keyword searching is good if you can limit the number of responses on a true "key word". Also, I am not sure how the word AND works in these searches as several of the ones you found only had one of the specified words in it. But, I am sure this is just a case of my know understanding how to use the criteria "AND".

I see what Elgringo is saying, now. Yes, I agree. I've found myself wanting to do this several times in the past, also. I think it would be well worth it to take the time to put that in, if you have it, Juan. Plus, it would cut down on those errors during searches (presumably).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back