Search

elgringo56

This may have been addressed, here, but I have not been following it for quite some time. I have tried to search for several things the past few days with little to no luck. I think this is because I cant search on just the topic. If I search for something like, MsgBox, I get a return for every message that has MsgBox in it, thousands of them, but the topics have nothing to do with MsgBox, so I have to wade thru thousands of topics to find a few that may pertain to MsgBox. Is there any way to search on just the topics? I see I can search on Topic and Message Text or on Message Text only. But it seems to me the topic is what is important when looking for information. Maybe I am overlooking something.

Well, that is how a search is supposed to work. Show you the instances it finds when you enter a search term.

Have you tried clarifying your search term a little more? Just using something like 'msgbox' isn't going to give you much help no matter if you search by messages or topics alone.

To me, a search should make it easy to find information on a topic, any topic, in this case, MsgBox is a topic. It is a command. People pose questions on topics. It makes sense to me that searching topics for key words (As we use to be able to) is a smart thing to have. I may be wondering "How can I insert LF/CR's in a MsgBox statment. The key word in there is MsgBox. Going thru 4328 messages that contain MsgBox is not a very efficient way to search.

Not trying to "defend" the system, but, many questions are very very ver not clear on the first post, so, you would probably not get very good results. Try using another keyword, and searching for all the items... the search has been working ok since I changed the template, it seems to produce nice results for me at least !!

There is an option to view results as topic only or bits of the post itself, but I don't recall ever being able to search on topics alone.

But when you consider that there are currently 241,128 separate posts in almost 52,500 separate threads in the Excel Questions forum alone, I think narrowing it down to +/- 4000 isn't bad, myself.

But simply entering 'msgbox' as the search term without attempting to narrow it down by adding other terms with it is generally a bad way to search anywhere, I think.

Ok, it works for you, but not for me, how about we ask other users their opinion. I am willing to concede if find they are able to easilly find what they need in the search. I know I use to be able to try two or three variations of key words, command names, and search topics and usually find an answer pretty fast, others that have written about the same topic I am looking for. In the last few days I have spent hours wadeing thru messages trying to find answers, with very little success. Maybe I am just to much a novice to know what exactly I am looking for.

Ok, Kristy, in the example I gave, just how would you narrow it down? And, yes, we did use to have the option to search topics only. to me, it was a very handy thing. Yes, I am defending my question, as it appears you are defending your board. Is an open mind an option here?

I'm not really intending to "defend" anything and am not trying to turn this into a debate.

I'm just generally trying to help you out here :)

As to narrowing down the message box question example, I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean by LF/CR...

LF/CR is the acronym for line feed/Carrage Return in typed information, it comes from the days when computers were programed in machine language, old teletype code. I believe in VBA its would be called vbLf or vbCr.

I find it difficult sometimes to wade through the thousands of posts when I type in keywords for a topic. But, I don't see how it could be any more efficient than it already is. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back