Request to add Office Version in User Profile

NBVC

It's probably been mentioned before, but it would be good if we can see what version the OPs are in via their profiles. Can that be a profile setting option prerequisite setting? It makes it much easier to cater solutions to individual requests/needs... e.g. conditional formatting instructions, sumifs vs. sumproduct, averageif instead of array formulas....

...just a suggestion ;)

+ .95 :p

It would be nice and I like the idea a lot, but playing the devil's advocate the only bad thing I see with it, then you only get the solution for certain versions.

While that may not seem like a bad thing for the OP, what if someone just went on a search on google and typed in how to sum multiple cells based on 3 criteria. Then the first post listed is someone only using 2007 and they try to use the formula and it does not work.

Granted there are 20 gazillion posts out there on hwo to do this and they could click on the next one and be fine.

I think this was mentioned a short time ago and have it be a requirement when they join to select it, but I have different versions on my home pc and my work pc along with some people may upgrade after they join the board and not change it and then you are offering 2003 solutions when they are on 2007/2010 now.

Sorry for the rant, but I do like the idea. :biggrin:

This has been discussed before. Here's one thread from a couple of years ago. I am not privvy to why this didn't eventuate.

Does the following "devil's advocate" argument have enough merit to counter any of the "for" arguments?

Much of the board's use is by members and non-members searching out existing answers, not asking their own question.

Take this example. Somebody (using Excel 2010) today seaches for how to count with multiple conditions. They find a thread I answered last year and the OP's profile says Excel 2010, as does my profile. My answer says, you'll have to use SUMPRODUCT and you cannot use whole column references.

Does the searcher go away with the best information to solve their problem?
Do they think I am an idiot?
They have no way of knowing that when the question was posted and answered that the OP's profile (& possibly mine) said Excel 2003.

Now if the versions are not shown in the profile, the searcher is still going to find the exact same question and answer. But could they be less swayed to thinking this is the best answer for them?

+1 for me too.
I regard the Q&A part of the board as more important than the search so anything that makes it easier to answer the question for the person who posed it would outweigh any confusion that might arise later.

+1 for me too.
I regard the Q&A part of the board as more important than the search so anything that makes it easier to answer the question for the person who posed it would outweigh any confusion that might arise later.
I can agree with this and move mine up to a +1. ;)

+1 for me too.
My sentiments, EXACTLY!
+1

I think Peter makes a good point, though. In the example he gives, answering that "Excel 2003 does not permit ..." might clarify for future searchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back