Replicating an Excel Formula in Access

hymanator

Hello,

I have a formula in Excel which gets me the information I need, but takes over 8 hours to calculate. I am hoping that Access will be able to accelerate the calculation process.

Overview: The formula I am using calculates a peer group for a particular peer based on a profitability metric, and then determines if there are enough peer respondents in a product category to report data; if there are, it then calculates a percentile of revenue based on the peer respondents. I want to be able to manipulate the peer group parameters to affect the outcome and see how the resulting percentiles correlate to another metric we are using.

There are numerous challenges, particularly since Access lacks a percentile formula. I also am not well versed in using access and so am not confident nesting Iif statements (if that's even possible?). Thanks in advance for your help! The excel formula is copied below.

H is the profitability metric used to determine peer groups
N is the revenue
I is the product category

=IFERROR(IF($H6
1)*($H:$H
peergroup_highthreshold, PERCENTILE(IF(($N:$N>1)*($H:$H>peergroup_highthreshold)*($I:$I=$I6),$N:$N, "N/A"), P$4), IF($H6>peergrouptop_cutoff, PERCENTILE(IF(($N:$N>1)*($H:$H>peergrouptop_entry)*($I:$I=$I6),$N:$N, "N/A"), P$4), PERCENTILE(IF(($N:$N>1)*($H:$H<=($H6*peergroup_maximum))*($H:$H>=($H6*peergroup_minimum))*($I:$I=$I6),$N:$N, "N/A"),P$4)))), "Error")

Confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter</peergroup_lowthreshold)*($i:$i=$i6),$n:$n,></peergroup_lowthreshold,>

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
The 8 hour time is in excel, but yes that is the only formula I have running and it takes 8 hours to calculate. The data set is 160k rows. And I have not been able to successfully run a query as I cannot write it to meet my needs at this time.

I am not trying to create a percentage, but rather the percentile (pulling out the reference data value corresponding to a specific point, as opposed to the reference datapoint divided by the entire reference dataset). Thank you!

Upvote 0
have you tried modifying the column ranges from $N:$N to $N1:$N170000 and see how that runs, I'm not sure if have a million rows to work against is slower, and i don't know percentile, hence prompting for percent

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giannip

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back