Rep or Points for the most helpful members

MontyXL

Hi,

Just a suggestion, but how about installing the +rep type mod into this forum to make it easier to acknowledge the members who are most helpful - especially to forum newbies like myself.

I've had really good help from this forum but feel the only way to appreciate this help is just a "thank you" reply.

Thanks
Monty

Just a suggestion, but how about installing the +rep type mod into this forum to make it easier to acknowledge the members who are most helpful - especially to forum newbies like myself.
The idea has been bounced around from time-to-time over the years, but ultimately, we decided against it.
I've had really good help from this forum but feel the only way to appreciate this help is just a "thank you" reply.
That's all we ask. If everyone did this, we would be thrilled!
:)

It's gonna happen, so I'll be the first to rant why rep doesn't work.

I've only just started posting at MS Answers. I was spitting feathers when the OP awarded someone else for answering his question, despite my answer being first and better. So why did the other guy get the rep? Because he's been there ages and he has a little gold star beneath his name. The OP, not knowing any better, assumes his answer will be better because he has rep and I have none...

One of the many reasons I love MrExcel (the forum that is, don't flatter yourself Bill :biggrin:), is that it isn't a race to earn points. We're all here to learn!

The more I post elsewhere, the more I love this place!

Long Live MrExcel

P.S. Like Joe says, thanks is all we need here :) And thanks for wanting to do more!

Last edited:
I'll third that. I post at a couple of places that use rep/points and it always either turns into a competition or people get upset when they don't get anything for answering a question.
I'd much rather have a thank you and/or some feedback that an answer worked.

Although... I could do with some more T-shirts! Maybe I should make a turn at EE. :biggrin:

I'd send you some of mine but I donated them all to the EE build-a-well charity thing.

ok that explanation does make sense! But I do admire the time you guys dedicate to answering questions for noobs like me.
I'm pretty good with excel as well (mainly crafting formulae tho not VBA) and sometimes wish I could also help out but just can't seem to find the time especially to go through all the new posts looking for the one I can solve. And when I do (well twice now) they've been solved already!
I'll still keep the occasional eye out till I find something tho! I'm sure it'll feel pretty good!

We all started off like that Monty. This is a very fast moving forum and it's quite difficult to get the first answer in. Just remember that you are here to learn, so if you construct an answer but don't get there first, feel free to post it. It may offer an alternative, or it may lead to further discussions that you and/or others can learn from.

Absolutely agree.
Also, even if the original asker has an answer they like, there will be others that find the thread later through searches and whatever solution you have come up with may well be a better fit for them.

I am not bothered even about a thank you but I do like to know whether my solution helped or just as importantly whether it didn't.
Posting sometimes on other boards I see how often some get hung up on rep points...I'd rather have a happy smiley (and I never thought I'd say that)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Penapensil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back