Refining my code?

danbates77

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

Please can someone help me?

I have 7 palletisers at work (G,H,J,K,L,M & N) and each palletiser has 40 programs (1-40).

I would like to have a sheet (DATA) where I can compare up to 10 programs side by side (C1:L1 for the palletiser letter and C2:L2 for palletiser number) at any one time from any palletiser.

I have created my sheet and I have coded 1 palletiser so far but the way I know how to do it means I have 40 lines of code per palletiser.

I was wondering if someone could take a look and see if you know how to shorten it?

VBA Code:
Sub Check_Palletiser_Program_Number()

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Range("C1") = "" Or Range("C2") = "" Then Range("C4:C37").ClearContents

If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "1" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("C4:C37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "2" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("D3:D37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "3" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("E4:E37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "4" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("F4:F37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "5" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("G4:G37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "6" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("H4:H37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "7" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("I4:I37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "8" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("J4:J37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "9" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("K4:K37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "10" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("L4:L37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "11" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("M4:M37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "12" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("N4:N37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "13" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("O4:O37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "14" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("P4:P37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "15" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Q4:Q37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "16" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("R4:R37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "17" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("S4:S37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "18" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("T4:T37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "19" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("U4:U37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "20" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("V4:V37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "21" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("W4:W37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "22" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("X4:X37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "23" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Y4:Y37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "24" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Z4:Z37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "25" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AA4:AA37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "26" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AB4:AB37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "27" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AC4:AC37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "28" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AD4:AD37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "29" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AE4:AE37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "30" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AF4:AF37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "31" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AG4:AG37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "32" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AH4:AH37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "33" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AI4:AI37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "34" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AJ4:AJ37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "35" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AK4:AK37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "36" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AL4:AL37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "37" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AM4:AM37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "38" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AN4:AN37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "39" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AO4:AO37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "40" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AP4:AP37").Value

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

OK, let's try breaking this out into more steps that it should require, so we can try to see where things are going wrong.
Step through the code one line at a time using the F8 key, while watching your data.
Many times, as you watch what it is doing each step of the way, you can often see exactly what is happening and where the issue is.
VBA Code:
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim i As Long

'   Set current worksheet
    Set ws = ActiveSheet

i = Range("C2") + 0
    If (Range("C1") = "G") And (i >= 1) And (i <= 40) Then
        Sheets("G").Activate
        Range(Cells(4, i + 2), Cells(37, i + 2)).Copy
        ws.Activate
        Range("C4").Select
        ActiveSheet.Paste
    End If

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Try changing these lines:
VBA Code:
        Range("C4").Select
        ActiveSheet.Paste
to this:
VBA Code:
        Range("C4").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
to copy just the values.

Upvote 0
Hi Dan and all helpers so far!

I'm a little confused that no one thinks to change the cell.addresses from Range("Xn") to Cells(r,c). [rows, columns]. Because then it's much easier to use loops through iterators only.
Or is it me who is far from an intelligent solution?

??Senior Newbie

Upvote 0
Hi Dan and all helpers so far!

I'm a little confused that no one thinks to change the cell.addresses from Range("Xn") to Cells(r,c). [rows, columns]. Because then it's much easier to use loops through iterators only.
Or is it me who is far from an intelligent solution?

??Senior Newbie
Do you mean like in posts 3, 5, and 9???
;)

Actually, upon further inspection, there was no need to use loops at all!
Whenever possible, loops SHOULD be avoided if possible, as they are slow and inefficient in your code.
Sometimes you have to use them, but if there are alternatives, it is usually better to use those.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back