Refining my code?

danbates77

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

Please can someone help me?

I have 7 palletisers at work (G,H,J,K,L,M & N) and each palletiser has 40 programs (1-40).

I would like to have a sheet (DATA) where I can compare up to 10 programs side by side (C1:L1 for the palletiser letter and C2:L2 for palletiser number) at any one time from any palletiser.

I have created my sheet and I have coded 1 palletiser so far but the way I know how to do it means I have 40 lines of code per palletiser.

I was wondering if someone could take a look and see if you know how to shorten it?

VBA Code:
Sub Check_Palletiser_Program_Number()

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Range("C1") = "" Or Range("C2") = "" Then Range("C4:C37").ClearContents

If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "1" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("C4:C37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "2" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("D3:D37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "3" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("E4:E37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "4" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("F4:F37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "5" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("G4:G37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "6" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("H4:H37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "7" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("I4:I37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "8" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("J4:J37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "9" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("K4:K37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "10" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("L4:L37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "11" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("M4:M37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "12" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("N4:N37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "13" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("O4:O37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "14" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("P4:P37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "15" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Q4:Q37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "16" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("R4:R37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "17" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("S4:S37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "18" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("T4:T37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "19" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("U4:U37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "20" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("V4:V37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "21" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("W4:W37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "22" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("X4:X37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "23" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Y4:Y37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "24" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("Z4:Z37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "25" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AA4:AA37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "26" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AB4:AB37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "27" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AC4:AC37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "28" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AD4:AD37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "29" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AE4:AE37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "30" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AF4:AF37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "31" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AG4:AG37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "32" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AH4:AH37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "33" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AI4:AI37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "34" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AJ4:AJ37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "35" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AK4:AK37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "36" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AL4:AL37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "37" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AM4:AM37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "38" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AN4:AN37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "39" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AO4:AO37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "40" Then Range("C4:C21").Value = Sheets("G").Range("AP4:AP37").Value

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Is the part in red below a typo?
Rich (BB code):
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "1" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("C4:C37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "2" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("D3:D37").Value
If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = "3" Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range("E4:E37").Value
It looks like every row in your code starts with row 4, except this one line.

Upvote 0
Assuming that the thing I mentioned above is just a typo, and the values of 1-40 in cell C2 are actually entered as numbers and not text, then I think you should be able to replace those 40 lines of code with this simple loop:
VBA Code:
Dim i As Long
For i = 1 To 40
    If Range("C1") = "G" And Range("C2") = i Then Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range(Cells(4, i + 2), Cells(37, i + 2)).Value
Next i

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4,

Yes it was a typo and good spot by you.

I've tried your code but I'm getting the following error

run time error 1004
application defined or object defined error

and it highlights this part

VBA Code:
Range("C4:C37").Value = Sheets("G").Range(Cells(4, i + 2), Cells(37, i + 2)).Value

any ideas?

thanks again
Dan

Upvote 0
Do the code work before the way you had it? I thought it looked a little funny. VBA usually does not like setting a multi-cell range to another multi-cell range.
I think you may be better off with a copy/paste.

I think we can also simplify things to get rid of the loop. See if this does what you need:
VBA Code:
    If (Range("C1") = "G") And (Range("C2").Value >= 1) And (Range("C2").Value <= 40) Then
        Sheets("G").Range(Cells(4, i + 2), Cells(37, i + 2)).Copy Range("C4")
    End If

Upvote 0
Hi,

It still errors and highlights the same area of code.

I've just tried my code again and it works.

Could blanks cells within the range on sheet G be a problem?

thanks again
Dan

Upvote 0
What exactly is in cells C1 and C2 in this example?

Can you enter this formula anywhere on the main sheet, and tell me what it returns?
Excel Formula:
=ISNUMBER(C2)

Also, do you have any errors in any of the cells on Sheet G?
Or do you have any merged cells on either sheet in the ranges you are copying from or pasting into?

Upvote 0
They both have data validation set in them.

C1 with all the palletiser letters & C2 with the program numbers.

That formula returns - FALSE

Upvote 0
That formula returns - FALSE
OK, that tells me that the values in cell C2 are actually entered as Text, and not numbers.
Is there any reason why you set it up this way, if the cell should just contain numbers 1-40?

We have a few options here.
One would be to fix it so cell C2 contains valid entered numeric values instead of "numbers entered as text".
Or we could try to coerce it to a number in the VBA code, i.e. something like this:
VBA Code:
    Dim i As Long
    i = Range("C2") + 0
    If (Range("C1") = "G") And (i >= 1) And (i <= 40) Then
        Sheets("G").Range(Cells(4, i + 2), Cells(37, i + 2)).Copy Range("C4")
    End If

Upvote 0
No particular reason other than I find it easier, I can remove it if it helps?

This code doesn't error but it doesn't enter that data either.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back