Rant: Text Functions

Excel sorely needs an EFFICIENT function or array of functions for dealing with uniques!

I'm sure that we could come up with dozens of useful functions that Excel is missing.

Why is there a "width" argument to the CELL function but there is no "height" argument?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Why is there a "width" argument to the CELL function but there is no "height" argument?

Well there are still the XLM functions that can achieve these sorts of things. Anyone have any idea when these will actually be dropped? I purposely avoid XLM functions but I do feel that it would be a mistake to drop them until such time as there are suitable alternatives for some of the many useful features...

CELL is nearly useless because it's frozen in the past, compatible with Lotus 123 Release 2.2 from 23 years ago. Lotus added a lot of useful items to @CELL/@CELLPOINTER and @INFO in 123 Release 3, but MSFT didn't touch Excel's CELL or INFO. They've become two of the most worthless functions in Excel even if they are used more often than the Bessel functions or BAHTTEXT.

And there are bits where the XLM method is more superior than the VBA equivalent. Ok so I can only think of one :-P but I'm sure there are more. The one I can think of is the PAGE.SETUP function.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/pagesetup.html

So I know this is going away from formula, but my 2c on why I too don't look forward to the day that XLM is removed.

Hmm, a function in Excel that allows the user to create a Regex ....can you imagine how well microsoft could make that almost impossible to understand, let alone actually work.
I'm still having trouble with Espresso !!!
But I'd love to see it !!

The PAGE.SETUP problem is alleviated in 2010 to a large degree.

Excel's developers would only need to borrow the code from the VBScript Regular Expressions library. Heck, they could even start with Word's Find and Replace wildcards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back