RANDBETWEEN() excluding values

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Does anybody know how to do a RANDBETWEEN(1,100) but have it exclude numbers that already exist within a defined range?

Thanks,
Jon

Actually you can, I should have tested it before asking (and read lhousesoccer's #3 post more carefully):

=SMALL(IF(RANDBETWEEN(1,5)={1,2,3,4,5},"",{1,2,3,4,5}),RANDBETWEEN(1,3))

works fine. He wanted to show the extra column.

I was looking for a single randbetween type formula that excluded numbers, but this one seems to do it:

e.g.

=CHOOSE(INT(RAND()*7)+1,1,3,4,6,8,9,10)

for 1 to 10 excluding 2,5,7

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi Barry,

I was trying to extend the above exercise with the third random number excluding the first two random generated numbers between 1 to 6.

Any suggestion would be a great help. Thanks, Ajit

Whichever number you have in A1 the IF function generates an array which contains the other 4, so if A1 = 2 this part

IF(A1={1,2,3,4,5},"",{1,2,3,4,5})

generates this array {1,"",3,4,5}

Then SMALL gives you the nth smallest out of that array [where n is generated by RANDBETWEEN(1,4) ]

SMALL could be replaced by LARGE, it makes no difference which of those you use....

Upvote 0
=IF A1 is

=RANDBETWEEN(1,6) and then B1 is

=SMALL(IF(A1={1,2,3,4,5,6},"",{1,2,3,4,5,6}),RANDBETWEEN(1,5))

then C1 can be

=SMALL(IF(A1={1,2,3,4,5,6},"",IF(B1={1,2,3,4,5,6},"",{1,2,3,4,5,6})),RANDBETWEEN(1,4))

Upvote 0
=IF A1 is

then C1 can be

=SMALL(IF(A1={1,2,3,4,5,6},"",IF(B1={1,2,3,4,5,6},"",{1,2,3,4,5,6})),RANDBETWEEN(1,4))

HI Barry,

Seems to be working great. Still not able to understand the logic of the if statements within.

But thanks a lot for the prompt response. Highly appreciated!

Ajit

Upvote 0
=IF A1 is

then C1 can be

Hi Barry,

Thanks for sharing a really useful tip.

I was wondering if there is a way to extend the logic you expressed in your last post (#13), over a much larger number of cells to exclude, in a short-hand form? My problem is that I am trying to assign the numbers 1-25 randomly down a column of 25 cells, but making sure that there are no duplicates. I'm sure there are other tricks out there if I wanted to do a one-time assignment; but unfortunately the problem dictates that I have to keep assigning numbers randomly over and over, making sure that each time those 25 cells are randomly assigned but with no duplicates.

Now, I know that there is an answer to this in post #13 - I can increase the number of nested IF functions in successive rows and reduce the RANDBETWEEN selection by one. However, this will become quite laborious by the time I get to 10 and beyond! (to say nothing of the fact that the logic will be incomprehensible to the people I will be presenting to). Can you help me find a more elegant and less work-intensive way of achieving this?

One idea I had was to write =SMALL(IF($A$1:A2={1,2,3,4,5....,24,25}... in the cell B3, and keep extending the logic in this way. I noticed from the Evaluate Formula that your formula places a blank in place of any number in the array for which the Logical Test is true. However, turns out this is not a valid way of expressing a command ... though I think I'm on to something.

Any ideas welcome!

Many thanks,
Ben

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a spreadsheet with approx 30 rows in three sections, lets say rows 1-10, 11-20, 21-30.

It has three data columns lets say D, E, F in which I want to place random numbers.

Some of column F will be NULL.

For rows 1-20, columns D-F, I need to generate numbers 11-30.

This is the first step of the problem.

The second step is to do the same for rows 11-20 but randomly entering 1-10, 21-30 into columns D, E, F. And then similar for rows 21-30.

There is an added complication which is probably beyond the scope of this forum for which I expect I will need to hire a programmer!

But here it is anyway.

Let's say row 1 has the numbers 12 and 17 allocated. Row 12 cannot have 1 or 17 allocated to it, nor can 17 have 1 or 12 allocated to it.
Same goes for all rows.

I appreciate that I am asking a lot, but it would be great to learn how to do these things!

Best wishes

Eddie

Upvote 0
Hi Barry,
I am trying to do something really similar to this but I cannot convert your formula to my situation. I am supposed to make a row that has all the numbers {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11} in it. But after you have for example the number 6, you can't have it again until your row uses all the other numbers {0,1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11}. Can you help me?
Thank you

Upvote 0
FYI, you'd have better luck opening a new thread than adding to a very old thread. More likely that someone will see it. Nevertheless, I happened to see it, so you can see if this works for you:

Book1
AB
1NamesScrambled names
2AnnIvy
3BobGayle
4CarolErica
5DanHank
6EricaJack
7FredDan
8GayleFred
9HankAnn
10IvyBob
11JackCarol
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=INDEX(A:A,SMALL(IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,A$2:A$11)=0,ROW(A$2:A$11)),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA(A$2:A$11)-ROWS(B$2:B2)+1)))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Just press F9 to rearrange the list.

Upvote 0
Or try

=INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A$2:A$11)/(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,A$2:A$11)=0),RANDBETWEEN(1,ROWS(A2:A$11))))

Just press Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back