Query- Select vs Make Table

rbbakeriii

Would there be any reason why my results would differ if I do a SELECT vs MAKE TABLE in a query? When I do MAKE TABLE, some of my results seem to be missing (but show up when I change to SELECT).

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Without seeing your data and the SQL Code of your queries, it is difficult to say.

Upvote 0
SELECT [YYYYMM] AS PERIOD, [WORKORDER_BASE_ID] & "/" & [WORKORDER_LOT_ID] & "." & [WORKORDER_SPLIT_ID] AS WO, dbo_WORK_ORDER.PART_ID, dbo_PART.DESCRIPTION, dbo_WORK_ORDER.DESIRED_QTY, dbo_WIP_BALANCE.MATERIAL_AMOUNT, dbo_WIP_BALANCE.LABOR_AMOUNT, dbo_WIP_BALANCE.BURDEN_AMOUNT, dbo_WIP_BALANCE.SERVICE_AMOUNT, [MATERIAL_AMOUNT]+[LABOR_AMOUNT]+[BURDEN_AMOUNT]+[SERVICE_AMOUNT] AS TOTAL_WIP
FROM (dbo_WIP_BALANCE INNER JOIN dbo_WORK_ORDER ON (dbo_WIP_BALANCE.WORKORDER_SPLIT_ID = dbo_WORK_ORDER.SPLIT_ID) AND (dbo_WIP_BALANCE.WORKORDER_LOT_ID = dbo_WORK_ORDER.LOT_ID) AND (dbo_WIP_BALANCE.WORKORDER_BASE_ID = dbo_WORK_ORDER.BASE_ID)) INNER JOIN dbo_PART ON dbo_WORK_ORDER.PART_ID = dbo_PART.ID
WHERE (((dbo_WIP_BALANCE.POSTING_DATE) Like [ EOM M/DD/YYYY ]));

^^ does this work? It's driving me nuts. Do you think it could be the formatting of some of the columns? Text vs General?

Upvote 0
I can't think of any reason why the results aof a make table query would be different than those of a select query

what you could try is just leave it as a select query

then create a new query that use the "select query" as its source

and have the new query be the "make table" query"

Upvote 0
In general a make table query and select query do not differ in what they select - BUT the data can change!! If you run now vs. 10 seconds from now, your results may vary. So unless you are dealing with historical data that is static/unchanging, you must beware of that.

Your query (... I guess ...) in particular uses a parameter like [EOM m/dd/yyyy] what gets supplied by that parameter and what it is being compared to (whether text or true dates) will also make a difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Mize 1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back