Pulling data only if file exists.

DayDay

Board Regular
I am using the following VB code to check if a file exists and if so add a formula in my workbook providing data from that file.

I have pre-pulled raw data in the directory "H:\BusinessRpt\Test for scripts\" which is named firstly by the day of the month and then what data it is.
- i.e/ 13_CAI_AgentStats.xls

The idea of my code is to check firstly whether the file exists (i.e has the data been pulled yet) and then if so to extract the data I need from the correct sheet and if not to add a zero instead.

I thought all was ok, but if the raw workbook is not open I get a #REF error.

I have looked at some posts for getting info from a closed workbook on this site but I can't get my head around incorporating them into my code!!

Please help!!

Code listed below

------

Sub Check_File_Exists()

For date_test = 1 To 31

If Dir("H:\BusinessRpt\Test for scripts\" & date_test & "_CAI_AgentStats.xls") <> "" Then

Range("AE" & date_test + 11).Formula = "='H:\BusinessRpt\Test for scripts\[" & date_test & "_CAI_AgentStats.xls]" & date_test & "_CAI_AgentStats'!$D$4"

Else

Range("AE" & date_test + 11) = 0

End If

Next date_test

End Sub

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I can't reproduce your problem in Excel 2000. In VBA I can add a formula like yours without getting a #REF! error and the Link Status is A.

So I'm not sure I can help any more.

Oh man! This is crazy :(

Ok thanks for all your help Andrew.
If anyone else can help me I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That explains it. You can't link to a csv file without opening it in Excel. Only links to true Excel workbooks can be updated when the file is closed.

Upvote 0
That explains it. You can't link to a csv file without opening it in Excel. Only links to true Excel workbooks can be updated when the file is closed.

Mystery over, I am in the process of downloading a batch CSV to XLS convertor that can be run in the scheduler once the CSV is extracted :)

You have been most helpful and a credit to the community.

Thanks Andrew

Upvote 0
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this is exactly the same problem I have.

Can anyone recommend a program (ideally, a single-click solution) to convert a csv file (or group of files) to xls format? Is there a way to make a .bat file for this purpose?

I'm trying to link to an auto-generated file, and want the process to be as streamlined as possible for the end-user. Opening the csv, saving as xls, then opening the other spreadsheet, is too many steps!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back