Pulling a cell value from a specific sheet (in same file) based on multiple criteria - I'm lost...

eleine

Hello

Newbie at work, so please be gentle... :)

(have searched the forum for similar problems but alas... if I have missed a crucial post, please redirect as appropriate)

Excel 2010 32bit, Win 7 64bit

I have a relatively complex spreadsheet made for calculation of labour- and labour-related costs for a ship's crew (I work in a shipping company).
In order to improve the "usability" I am looking to automate how a certain cell is populated

The workbook consist of a "calculation sheet" and several sheets containing variable information (wage matrixes)
Based on type of vessel (set in a separate cell) I'm trying to "pull" the correct wage from the respective sheet based on a cross between type of position, type of agreement and applicable seniority.

Workflow: I select vessel class (dropdown from set cell range), select position (dropdown from set cell range), type of agreement (dropdown from set cell range), level of seniority (dropdown from set cell range) => cell for dayrate populated with the correct value coming from the sheet matching the 4 mentioned criteria:
Vessel class: variable from list (2 choices as of today, could be expanded)
Position: variable from list
Type agreement check: true/false
Seniority: variable from list

I have put up a clean version of the spreadsheet for review here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11001765/Vessel Crew Budget Analysis - DRAFT10.xlsm
the "important cells" have comments in them (C8, B11, F11, H11)

I have been playing with several types of IF/nested-IF's but I cannot wrap my brain around it.... :confused: :oops:
If it is eaiser to have all the positions/wages in one list this is not a problem, current setup is just a remake of how the information is exported from our payroll system.

I am not restricted to the format on the wage matrixes and can uses fewer/several sheets if that makes this more manageble, open to all ideas!

Very appreciative for any help/input you can offer, thanks! :biggrin:

Best regards
Endre

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Re:[SOLVED] - Pulling a cell value from a specific sheet (in same file) based on multiple criteria - I'm lost...

Hello again,

Problem solved!

Feeling a bit embarrased, a few more hours of googling on this forum and various blog posts, I discovered that I was looking for a 2-dimensional lookup... :oops:

Playing around with various versions I ended up with this formula that solves my problem:
=IF(F12="NOR";(IF($C$8=4;VLOOKUP(B12;CL4_MATRIX;(SUM(1;(MATCH(H12;SEN_CL_4;0))));FALSE);(IF($C$8=5;(VLOOKUP(B12;CL5_MATRIX;(SUM(1;(MATCH(H12;SEN_CL_5;0))));FALSE));0)))/30)*(1+$C$9);0)

For you Excel wizards out there this may be crude and "low-tech", but is does the job. Checks one main yes/no criteria, and returns the corresponding wage based on selected Position and Seniority (stored in 2 separate sheets, same workbook).
I have posted a version of the final file here (dummy figures) so if anyone wants to take a look I'm all open for improvements :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11001765/Vessel Crew Budget Analysis - DRAFT11.xlsm

Sorry to seize your time and @Solosideshow: thanks for you interest to assist!

Brgds
Endre

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back