Professional Excel Development 2nd Edition

You would be amazed (and disturbed) by what you can achieve with Photoshop though... ;)

Didn't we make a promise to Richard that we'd stop talking about his avatar at Ozgrid? :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
That's not Photoshop, that's Yoga... :)

I got mine today and **** is this book thick. I don't think I could even carry it on the subway.

Hi

To those who have this new edition as well as the previous edition, is it worth forking out for the second edition? I just had a look at the contents list and it looks like only chapters 24-26 are new (VB.Net and VSTO development). Is there any other new stuff?

I loved the first book but not sure I want to pay $70AUD for 3 chapters....

Any comments?

Cheers
DK

Hi

To those who have this new edition as well as the previous edition, is it worth forking out for the second edition? I just had a look at the contents list and it looks like only chapters 24-26 are new (VB.Net and VSTO development). Is there any other new stuff?

Any comments?

Cheers
DK

It depends whether .Net is in your purview. The first is not good enough on that, my understanding is that the 2nd edition covers it quite comprehensively, although I wouldn't be surprised if it also assumes a level of understanding as does the rest of the book.

Hi

Any comments?

Cheers
DK

I'm in the same boat as you, dk. The .Net chapters are very welcome, but I would hope that there have been more alterations than that - surely the relevant sections have been updated for all the changes that came with Excel 2007 and Vista?!

I'm in the same boat as you, dk. The .Net chapters are very welcome, but I would hope that there have been more alterations than that - surely the relevant sections have been updated for all the changes that came with Excel 2007 and Vista?!

I hope you're right. I had another look and also noticed that there was a chapter on the ribbon so maybe there is more than just VB.net to the new book. I'm hoping that Greg or Richard will soon finish and be able to give us a critical review of 1st vs 2nd editions. Apparently the book is 1200 pages long so it should only take those blokes a couple of days to get through it :-)

I cannot argue with that. I will not be buying the book, I bought the 1st edition (the only Excel book I have actually forked out my own money for), and cannot see the .Net sections giving me enough to warrant spending 30 quid.

As for the Ribbon, I would have thought Ron's site and/or Ken Puls' book would give you all you need.

Hi

Any comments?

Cheers
DK

The authors address your concern in the forward. They say that if you don't do the bulk of your development outside of Excel 2007, then you're okay staying with the 1st edition. While there is some new information, updates, corrections, etc in edition 2 the bulk of the new information revolves around Excel 2007.

I'm 4 chapters in and feel my sig now accurately describes where I'm at in terms of Excel development. Glad I spent the money though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back