Professional Excel Development 2nd Edition

From the cover of the first version:
"This is not a book for beginners. Writing for professional developers and true Excel experts..."
something of an understatement! :)

I guess it depends on what is meant by beginner...
by this scale: http://www.xl-logic.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1
I am an advanced user. But still when I come to this board I fell like such a novice! There is some remarkable talent and skill here. But I definitly have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants. (thanks to all those who have helped me)

I still will preorder the book.:biggrin: Never afriad to jump into the deep end with both feet, I've learned to swim well!! And the beauty of my job is nobody dies if I make a mistake!!:)

Edit: Rory, congrats on the little one, I see you are also posting with a mini-me Avatar!!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I always like the bit in the xl-logic definition of an Excel expert:

Most likely, a disturbed individual who spends too much time thinking about spreadsheets.

I'm off to think about beer for an hour or six. Have a good weekend folks.

Dom :laugh:

I've heard that the new PED may have had very little involvement from most of the original writers - can anyone confirm if that is true? I tend ot think that it will still be a quality publication with xl-Dennis's involvement, but I'd like to establish how much Bullen et al actually input to it.

Thanks!
The book is definitely worth buying and reading. It's just worth being aware that if you are not a developer, a lot of it probably won't be of any real use to you, even though it will undoubtedly be very interesting! For example, I have never actually needed to define my own interfaces for anything I do for work. (I've done it for fun, but that's a different matter!) As long as you know what to expect from the book, you won't be disappointed. :)

Thanks!
The book is definitely worth buying and reading. It's just worth being aware that if you are not a developer, a lot of it probably won't be of any real use to you, even though it will undoubtedly be very interesting! For example, I have never actually needed to define my own interfaces for anything I do for work. (I've done it for fun, but that's a different matter!) As long as you know what to expect from the book, you won't be disappointed. :)

Thanks, that is wise advice.

Based on the One minute test to gauge whether you are an Expert User here:

http://www.advanced-excel.com/excel_tests.html

I am considered an Excel expert since it only took me 39 seconds.

:)
When you know the syntax, you can do it in 10 seconds without helper column.
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($B$7:$B$81)=MONTH(DATEVALUE(1&"/"&B84&"/"&1))))
(will give #VALUE if some cell is not a date: to avoid the problem you could add ISNUMBER)

kind regards,
Erik

I've heard that the new PED may have had very little involvement from most of the original writers - can anyone confirm if that is true? I tend ot think that it will still be a quality publication with xl-Dennis's involvement, but I'd like to establish how much Bullen et al actually input to it.

They did that to the Excel VBA Programmers Reference 2003, but my understanding is that the main boys are still involved, although their bits may not have needed that much change. Dennis was brought in to expand the .Net bits (and apparently, all have been most impressed with Dennis' knowledge AND work ethic), so should be as good as its predecessor. Hopefully we will get some good stuff on Excel Services and Sharepoint as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back