Problem with Updating links (XLUpdateLinksNever)

Hitesh_Banda

Hi,
Hope someone can help me on this.
I have a macro which consolidates data from several files in a selected folder. But some of them contain external links. Macro is working fine. All I want is that it should not update the external links while opening the files. I tried the following, all in vain.

UpdateLinks:=xlUpdateLinksNever
Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False

The macro still asks me whether or not to update the links, and somethimes it also fails because of this.
Please help me on this.
:pray:

Thanks in advance.
Hitesh

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Welcome to the Board.

Where did you put those 2 lines of code? This:

needs to happen before the workbook is opened.

Upvote 0
There is a function which displays the "Select Folder" dialog box and returns the selected folder path to a variable called msg, and here's the main function for consolidate.

Sub consolidate()
Range("A8").Select
Call selectdir 'Selectdir is the function i was talking about...for selecting folder
Dim oWbk As Workbook
Dim sFil As String
Dim sPath As String
sPath = msg
ChDir sPath
sFil = Dir("*.xl*")
Do While sFil <> ""
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Set oWbk = Workbooks.Open(sPath & "\" & sFil, UpdateLinks:=xlUpdateLinksNever)
oWbk.Activate
Sheets("Milestone Tracker").Select
Range("A2").Select
If (ActiveCell.Value <> "") Then
Rows("2:2").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
Selection.Copy
End If
ThisWorkbook.Activate
Range("A7").Select
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
If (ActiveCell.Row > 60000) Then
Range("A8").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Else
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End If
oWbk.Close (0)
sFil = Dir
Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Since you have used the constant xlUpdateLinksNever you must have Excel 2002 or later. I don't know the value of that constant, but I would use 0 (zero). What Startup Prompt settings do you heve for the offending workbook(s)? Do they contain any invalid or broken links? More here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826921

Upvote 0
Thanks for you time Andy..

I am using Excel 2007. I tried the option suggested by you (using 0).I also tried unchecking the option "Update Links to other documents" and re-opening the file and re-running the macro, again everything in-vain

Forgot to mention that some of my files contain broken-links, which is the reason why I am facing the error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you still get prompted to update links if you open the offending workbook(s) manually (with Ask to update links unchecked)? If so one of the links may be invalid or broken.

Upvote 0
:oops: Yes Andy.. some of the files contain broken links, which is why the macro is facing problem. I want the macro to ignore the broken links.

Upvote 0
You can't. On the link I gave you it says:

Regardless of the options that you choose, Excel still displays a message if the workbook contains links that are not valid or links that are broken.

Upvote 0
We've moved from Office 2010 to 2021 and found strange Excel's bahavior with external links when opening w/book as well. It looks like in some circumstances Excel does update links ignoring its settings. Or, more precisely it opens external woorkbook (in the background) and AFTER that checks the settings. If settings is "don't update links", it just closes the external workbook. )) And if not - updates then. )))
The same situation was with Word-2010 and was fixed by inserting into the registry special keys ("NoActivateOleLinkObjAtOpen"=dword:00000001 + "DelayOleSrvParseDisplayName"=dword:00000001)
Unfortunately we still hasn't found similar solution for Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back