Printscreen section of Excel spreadsheet

Copy range + Paste within your message "should" work
Erik. My reasons for posting what I had posted was it appeared that the Copy range + paste was not working for neither the OP nor for you. I understand and agree with your statements and know that your utility as well as the others are better options..... Was just trying to help the OP with options to relay the information which they needed.

I'm not an MVP nor have I read anywhere on this board that stated the need to avoid images or links (if you can, please point me to these messages).

Joe,

Do not take my messages personally, I was not at all pointing to you, though it was your message which invited me to post.
There were probably also some discussions "in public" (Lounge) about the matter, but it was discussed among MVP's. The style of MrExcel Board is not to "push" people doing something, which we can be grateful for, but it looks good to me to tell people how to increase the quality of their questions.
Let's keep in mind also: when those links are dead, the thread becomes worthless for future reference.

have a nice end of the year!
Erik

I didn't take your messages personally (maybe at first, but after reading three times....). I just simply wanted to state my case and question why the topic that the MVP's had discussed is not open for other users to read in Guidelines For Posting or something like that? :confused: Especially when two MVP's were involved in the thread where I had found the link to host the image

This is kind of important. If an MVP is not going to consider my question based on the fact that I have an image placed in it, that question has a chance of not getting answered. I have had problems getting HTMLMaker and a few other add-ins to load/work on my home system using Vista and Excel 2007. Thought maybe someone else would benifit from a "work-around" of sorts. The option that I had posted can also be handy for posting visuals (Dialog Boxes, etc...) as well....such as in this post. Is this also improper?

Like I had said, "I understand and agree with your statements and know that your utility as well as the others are better options..... "....it was just an option.;)

I just simply wanted to state my case and question why the topic that the MVP's had discussed is not open for other users to read in Guidelines For Posting or something like that? :confused: Especially when two MVP's were involved in the thread where I had found the link to host the image

This is kind of important. If an MVP is not going to consider my question based on the fact that I have an image placed in it, that question has a chance of not getting answered.

There is nothing wrong with posting a screenshot of your worksheet to the board. There are no rules against it--we only ask that it be a reasonable size if displaying the image within the post, if not just link to the image.

As for people ignoring a question due to a picture being used--it simply depends on the person. Some people prefer to see HTML Maker examples and/or plain data (as Erik has described), others don't care if it's a picture or not.

Personally, I don't really care one way or the other. However, I can say that the HTML examples or posted data make it a bit easier as it can simply be copied from the page into a worksheet. You can't do that with a screenshot.

We agree on the main lines :)

If necessary a picture of some object is just fine to my sense. Anyway I've never needed it myself.

When I see a bunch of data within a picture instead of "real data", while I would need the data to do some tests, I will not answer, but might subscribe to the thread. When the OP then replies ("why do I get no answer?" or "bump") I might post the reason. Sometimes I'm sending a PM asking to post a "real table", when I find the question really interesting.

It would be good to spend a few words on the subject within the Guidelines. But I'm not a moderator nor administrator.

best regards,
Erik

EDIT: didn't see Kristies post: Hi, Kristy :)

Understood. Thank you Kristy and Erik. I hope I didn't step on any toes. Was just temporarily confused. Thanks again. :)

Okay guys, I am frantic to just get my regular work done and I am hoping not to have to learn all the fancy stuff to get data to display properly in message, but will if I have to. I have just copied ctrl C and pasted ctrl V below. Is this what a paste into a message is supposed to look like?

test dat1 date2
0 01/01/2012 01/01/2012
0 01/02/2012 01/02/2012
0 01/03/2012 01/03/2012
0 01/04/2012 01/04/2012
0 01/05/2012 01/05/2012
0 01/06/2012 01/06/2012
0 01/07/2012 01/07/2012

The reason I ask is that when I paste it in, it looks okay, other than the header row does not line up. When I preview it, it is all smooshed together. Then if I paste the data back into a spreadsheet (ctrl C ctrl V) from the previewed view, it all goes into one column not three. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it not working correctly? Thnx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stirlsa - you have been used the Standard editor, not the WYSIWIG Editor. You can change the setting from your User CP options. I went ahead and turned it on for you - but go ahead and give it another try.

Here goes:

testdat1date2001/01/201201/01/2012001/02/201201/02/2012001/03/201201/03/2012001/04/201201/04/2012001/05/201201/05/2012001/06/201201/06/2012001/07/201201/07/2012

It looked fine when I sent it, but now it is again all smooshed together - and this time when I pasted it in Excel it all went inot one cell.

Last edited:
1 2 3 4 5 6 This is a paste into the Quick Reply window

It looked ok when I pasted it, but once sent - it loses the formatting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back