pet peeves

Sinnka

Hi! Suddenly I've become interested in one question. What is your biggest pet peeves? As for me, I don't like rudeness concerning servers, when clients think that if they pay money, they can do everything with waiters or serving personnel. What about you?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Okay, let me ask that we use restraint in this thread. No politics, nothing about fellow members here, etc... Let's keep this light in nature.

With that in mind, Vista's been driving me nuts from the day I installed it. Let's see:

Vista couldn't even recognize my card/driver (not even the vendor? I had to dig up the receipt...), and the hardware vendor's site informed me my sound card is no longer supported! I figured out a workaround, 3 hours later... Fortunately, by tweaking a specific sound driver, on a number of different levels, that was never intended for my sound card, I get the desired result: Quality Audio Output!

Here's how you check to see if your soundcard is supported:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductList.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=110&f=86p

Next up, Access (XP) quit working!

The fix is easy enough, if you're running Office XP in Windows Vista, you're going to want to hook yourself up with Office SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=85AF7BFD-6F69-4289-8BD1-EB966BCDFB5E

I'm getting other quirks with it, too. Lots of irritating pop-ups about programs not working, nothing is allowed to run without clicking through dialogs (i.e., open a zip file from the web) and for some reason it likes to kill my Internet connection following Windows Updates, which requires a reboot. Cripes... :-?

The woman in the cube next to me, sprays hair spray every morning, enough to make me cough.

But tomorrow I'm being moved to a different building! Problem solved! :lol:

The woman in the cube next to me, sprays hair spray every morning, enough to make me cough.

But tomorrow I'm being moved to a different building! Problem solved! :lol:
Not so fast...

Do you know who is going to be in the cube next to you in the new building, and what their annoying habits might be? :evil:

I'm getting other quirks with it, too. Lots of irritating pop-ups about programs not working, nothing is allowed to run without clicking through dialogs (i.e., open a zip file from the web) and for some reason it likes to kill my Internet connection following Windows Updates, which requires a reboot. Cripes...

Yep. And if you open an attachment in an email, you will always get the thing opening in some wacky Preview mode -- useless for anything I've tried to do: you still have to close the preview to see the real document behind it. Others:

I haven't found a way to add folders to my Favorites in Vista.

Navigating up the folder structure, you used to just click the Up folder. Now, without any hints about it, you get a breadcrumb trail in the folder window and you click the name of the top folder instead. OK, once you have done it once you're set but why change the paradigm like that?

Denis

Lots of irritating pop-ups about programs not working
You know what's incredibly irrating about this? If you click through to see what Vista's trying to tell you, or the program is, it takes forever. Your screen goes black and it takes it a good 30 seconds to redraw. Once your finished, the same thing, black screen and redraw.

However if you don't follow this process, you just keep getting pop-ups. Pretty ugly, actually. :lookaway:

I've been holding off updating my 7 year old(!) computer, till these latest versions of Windows and Office (particularly Excel) were released. I have been reading so much like in this thread and issues with Excel 2007 (problems using ribbon etc) that I now have to work out how to make this old thing last even longer till something more user-friendly comes along.

Off topic I know - sorry. Or maybe this is my pet peeve at the moment that M/Soft, with its huge resources, can't bring out something that's more user-friendly!

* PDF format
* 1 man offices with multi-in boxes (press 1 for sales...)
* no XINDEX in Excel
* bright cell phone screens in movie theatres

Everything about the design of SAP bugs the hell out of me...
  • Lots of commands don't have keyboard shortcuts
    Non-standard keys for standard functions (e.g. Execute = F8, not Enter)
    Icons which are completely meaningless
    Dates have to entered using decimal points instead of dashes or slashes (wtf?)
    Toolbars can't be customised
    etc
    etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IRSHAD07

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back