Performing an Average calculation in a query

Techfi

I am going to start this off by saying that I have not used Access for about 2 years, so I have forgotten much about things like this.

I have a query, and I need to have it calculate the average of 5 fields in a record, and show that as another field in the query.

:oops:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Techfi:

Well you can't really use an average()-like function, since you can't specify a range of fields, so you have to just do the average manually.

Start a query and add the necessary fields, and then in design view, under where it says Field, add something like:
Average: ([Field1] + [Field2] + [Field3] + [Field4] + [Field5])/5

Replace Fieldx with your field names.

Hope this helps,

Upvote 0
NewField:=([1stField]+[2ndField]+[3rdField]+[4thField]+[5thField])/5
should do it. You may need to look at what happens if one of the fields has no data though.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
do you know how to make it account for empty records in the calculation? Ideally, if 3 out of the 5 fields have a value, then I want the average calculation to divide by 3 instead of 5. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
NewField: (nz([field2])+nz([field3]))/((IsNull([field2])+1)+(IsNull([field3])+1))

You need to use some thing like this, The NZ() replaces Nulls with 0's and the IsNull()+1 lets you count how many of the fields have data.
However this is still not a complete answer as if all fields are Null it will giv an error dur to Div by 0.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
hi..

i was looking at your question that's really similar to mine. i was wondering how should i change the expression if all my fields are null or zero so that it does not return the div by 0 error?

thanks
ling

Upvote 0
You need to wrap it in another level of iif's to test if it is all null and then return a null.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
so all i have to do is put another expression that returns a null if all the input values are null?

if that's the case then thanks a million!

yiling

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Penapensil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back