Pasting Problem, pastes blank

Dukesford

Board Regular
I am looking this up online and can't find it at Microsofts support. Here is the setup, we have two workbooks, one (lets call it Data Workbook) with some data 20 rows x 10 columns roughly, I am copying that data to another workbook (lets call it the Macro Workbook). Before I do anything in either workbooks, I open the Macro Workbook, and I run a macro that clears all the old data. I then procede to copy the area from the Data Workbook and attempted to paste it in the Macro Workbook were I just ran the macro. When I paste everything is blank.

What I have tried:
formatting the paste area text color as black, didn't work
closed down both workbooks and opened them and redid it, didn't work
restarted the computer, didn't work
copied the data in the Data Workbook then opened up a new worksheet and pasted, it worked, but then when i tried to paste it in the Macro Workbook it didn't work.
I opened up the Macro Workbook in the same excel window as the Data workbook, (instead of having seperate excel programs running), that worked. We can use this but I am thinking of the longterm and this will work in the shorterm but I am wondering if anyone has ran into this same problem. Thanks

Travis

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
As you have discovered, you cannot copy/paste between different instances of Excel.

Upvote 0
I thought I could have done this for the past few years, I did it all the time at least I think. I do remember this problem arising a few times but never figured out what i did to make it work. Well I also haven't been using excel as much over the past 6months as I use to, I guess this has been a problem for a long time here. I do remember I use to be able to do it. Am I wrong here?

Upvote 0
Has anyone keyed in on what is causing this error?

I have been just dealing with this problem for sometime now, but today broke the camels back. I was working in two instances of Excel, copying and pasting, no problems. Then all of a sudden it started pasting blank cells. Here is the rub, if you open a new WB (Ctrl+N) in the destination instance of Excel and try to paste the data there, it will work just fine between instances.

I am starting to think there has to be something that changes in a WB that makes it unable to accept paste data from another instance. Before now I have been just working around the files that I know won't let me paste between instances. This is the first time that I have ever noticed it working one second then not the next.

The really fun thing is, and it may just be a really huge coincidence, the last thing I did right before the paste stopped working was fudge finger a Ctrl+V. I thought maybe I just mistakenly hit Ctrl+B, no big deal, but whatever I pressed or did, from that moment on the WB will not except paste data from another instance of Excel.

I really hope that something can be done about this in the future as it really makes no scene at all. Productivity Microsoft, Productivity!!

Upvote 0
Yep, I have confirmed a temp solution.

Simply open up a new Workbook in the destination instance. Paste data into the new Workbook, copy it from the destination instance, paste data into desired location.

Done

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
P_Wood

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back