Overuse of VBA?

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I do my best to create workbooks using only built in Excel functionality and formulas. You can build some pretty amazing workbooks only using Sumproduct, Array formula's, offset, indirect, Custom Validation, Custom Formatting, etc.. I will only use vba as a last option on any workbooks that I'm planning on distributing. Where nothing else I'm aware of will do what I want then I use vba.
I still use vba extensively but only for workbooks that I know I will not be distributing to anyone else.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
How about overuse of Excel itself?

I just found myself posting a formula on the board.

I realised one of the cell references should probably be absolute.

So obviously I selected it and hit F4.

To my surprise nothing happened, then it dawned on me that I was writing a message on the board not a formula in Excel.:oops:

Hmmm...

It'd be nice if you could put your mouse on a bank statement, press F4 and make $ symbols appear!

Denis

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I do my best to create workbooks using only built in Excel functionality and formulas. You can build some pretty amazing workbooks only using Sumproduct, Array formula's, offset, indirect, Custom Validation, Custom Formatting, etc..

Sometimes I find it amazing how quickly some users jumpt to VBA, even though I was once one of those users myself (and still can be at times). Under many circumstances, VBA can become an impediment to learning the native power of the worksheet environment. I mean, why bother learning how to apply Match() and Offset() creatively when you can write a LeftLook() UDF?

Sometimes I find it amazing how quickly some users jumpt to VBA, even though I was once one of those users myself (and still can be at times). Under many circumstances, VBA can become an impediment to learning the native power of the worksheet environment. I mean, why bother learning how to apply Match() and Offset() creatively when you can write a LeftLook() UDF?

I think I most likely blame Aladin for weaning me off the VBA addiction:-). I saw some of the things that he was able to do with formula's that I had suggested code for. While his were much harder to understand, they worked so much faster and didn't involve having to worry about user macro settings. That being said, I still have a library of custom functions that do everything from formatting my workbooks(Structure, print settings, Headers/Footers,etc..) to adding and removing protection with custom passwords.

What is WinXP 2002?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back