Offered a contract extension with no payrise

I've had experience of something similar, I tried to negotiate and it failed, I therefore accepted their offer straight afterwards and then just looked for jobs elsewhere.

I'd suggest just speaking to them about the holiday offer and ask them about the future and what they see you doing. If it's not as positive as you'd like, I'd suggest just signing the contract and looking elsewhere.

If they don't value your skills I'm sure plenty of companies would, just make sure you go from your job to another job without quitting!

Oh and I do have to say, that's not legal at all with the 2 week thing, previous employer tried that on my colleague and she just threatened them with legal action and they backed off immediately. These HR people seem to have no legal backgrounds in that sense!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Thanks Slayor - did the following employer find it controversial that you left part-way through a (fixed-term?) contract? or is it seen just the same as leaving a permanent job? which country are you in?

They did at first but as I explained to them, the terms they had given me weren't the ones I was looking for. I hadn't taken any days off for interviews and the way I put it was that in the current market, I'd much rather have a permanent contract and have the stability that comes with it rather than have a job that although is decent, isn't guarenteed long term and that doesn't suit your ambitions. Rather than both sides be unhappy I thought it was best to leave.

When I put it that way they let me only work 2 weeks of my notice period so it must have gone down well enough, I got a good reference for my work, that's the main thing.

Im my experience very few companies follow up on references.

The recruiting process is such that the decision has already been made.
They like a referee name but thats it. The points raised about seeking clarity with regard to holidays is valid, just guessing but on slightly above average UK pay you are talking about a £1000 pay cut and you may decide that in fact you would prefer not to have the money but the time off in which case you could request at leat one week - 5 days - remain in the contract unpaid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back