not really an excel question but.........

mortgageman

I see so many posters here able to do the following that I thought I would ask. :wink: Many times a poster will post something like: see this

and the "this" will be a hyperlink to a website. In other words the "this" is used instead of the actual long website address. Is there an easy way to do this? (I tried using google to find the answer but no luck. It is possible I did not use the correct search)

Gene, "The Mortgage Man", Klein

Gene

It's simple HTML.

Try pasting this without code tags.
Rich (BB code):

This.

You can also do it using BB code. First, start a new message or a reply to an existing one. Above the message area, you'll see all the buttons to apply formatting, code, quotes, etc., including the last button for URLs. Hover your mouse over that button and you'll see the context for both a regular URL and a "text" URL. The text URL context is:

text

for instance,
Rich (BB code):
Click on this

which gives you this:

Click on this

Norie and Barry are both correct. However, I just want to point out a subtle difference:

- Links made using the HTML in Norie's example will open the link in the same window/tab you are currently in.

- Links made using the BBcode in Barry's example will always appear bolded and open the link in a new window/tab.

It is possible to use the HTML and have a link that opens in a new window, but you have to add the target="_blank" property:

This link will open in a new window/tab

Kristy

Always wondered about that different behaviour.

Thought it was something my end.:eek:

Well, If you're the one that enters a link and then wonders why it didn't open in a new window then I guess *technically* it could be something your end ;)

Yep, suppose that's right.:biggrin:

What I really meant was a fault with my system which appears to have a life of it's own.:eek:

Okay - If I have done this right, the following should link to this post:

This.

Yaaa! Thanks Norie and Barry - (I haven't tried Barry's but I'm sure it will work too!)

Gene

Uh not so fast. I just tried it in my email and it didn't work. Does it only work on this board?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back