Nostaliga post

10 PRINT "BIG HAIRY ****"
20 GOTO 10

Ah the fun of this, and swear words on the computers at Zellers:-) for budding programmers.

I learned basic on my 4kb Commodore Vic-20, with a 4kb expansion cartridge, making those crappy "Word Adventure Games".
It's surprirsing how much of what I learned is still applied in vb and vba today.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
It's surprirsing how much of what I learned is still applied in vb and vba today.
Indeed. Hard to believe stuff like
Code:
Open "abc.txt" For Input As #1
and the older commands PRINT, LINE INPUT #, WRITE, GOSUB/RETURN, LSET, RSET and the like still have their uses. But, I supposed even in an age of pnuematic hammers, cordless drills & laser distance measuring, a good carpenter still has use for a hammer, a screw driver & a tape measure.

It also surprises me how even now there are monthly tasks where the quickest way to get the job done is to shell out to the command/DOS window.

My first "computer" was a Dragon 64...many Cuthbert games stick in the memory...as does the cassette player and 5.25" floppy drive!!

But after that I was an Amiga child...A500, A1500, A4000 and a CD32...those were the days!!!

I took personal typing in High School circa 1959 or so. Best thing I ever did. After pushing airplanes on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier for Uncle Sam's Navy, I got the opportunity to tell the leading Chief, "Chief, I can type!" He set me down in front of an old manual machine, pointed to a page in the dictionary and said, "Show me." Clack ... clack .... clack he ripped the paper out of the machine and I said, "Didn't do too good huh Chief?" He replied, "Nope, you can touch type we got a spot for you, your speed will pick up." I've been behind a desk ever since (-:

First computer: Vic 20 my wife came home with the thing.
Next, Commodore 64
Then an Apple 2GS
And a Mac
Finally a PC

But after that I was an Amiga child...A500, A1500, A4000 and a CD32...those were the days!!!

Oh the Amiga... after my adolescent love of the C-64 my first real love was the Amiga 500. It took me through college, through marriage, through my first jobs...

I used my A500 religiously until I moved into the corporate world and had to conceed to moving to an IBM compatible...

I still miss it!

:(wen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back