New to Access: Single query for multiple unrelated tables

Hello. I'm pretty up on my Excel knowledge, but have switched to Access recently for a database I'm working on. I now realise how much Excel 'nannies' you!

Anyway, my problem.

I have a database consisting of 8 data tables showing client data. The data items on the tables aren't related, but they do share 2 column headings and data types within those headings (one of which is Date, the other is Status). I want to do a report showing the Status Categories I've applied for clients over a certain date range, broken down by each of the 8 tables. As I want the user to be prompted for the Start Date and End Date, and I don't want them to be prompted 8 times, is there any way I can include all 8 tables in one query?

When I've tried, it keeps asking me to set up a relationship for the tables, but they aren't really related as they don't share client information. Or are they?

If you need any clarification at all, please ask.

As I'm feeling Access and I are getting off to a shaky start, any help would be gloriously received, and I will send a packet of cadbury's buttons via e-mail (rather a jpeg of some) to anyone who can help me out!!

Thanks in advance,
Bill Knibb

Re: New to Access: Single query for multiple unrelated table

It doesn't give me a pop up box when I press the button on frmopenreport, but it does when I double click the query or the report in the database view. When I click the button on frmopenreport, it goes straight to the (blank) report.

SELECT RufusAddressTable.Done_Or_Not_Done, Count(RufusAddressTable.Done_Or_Not_Done) AS CountOfDone_Or_Not_Done
FROM RufusAddressTable
WHERE (((RufusAddressTable.Last_Updated)>=[Forms]![frmOpenReport]![txtStartDate] And (RufusAddressTable.Last_Updated)<=[Forms]![frmOpenReport]![txtEndDate]))
GROUP BY RufusAddressTable.Done_Or_Not_Done;

Cheers again... Glad to know it's not just me going mad. Well, it might be, I suppose...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
SQL looks OK to me. The only other suggestion at the moment is to format the textboxes as date just to make sure the Access is getting it right.

Peter

Upvote 0

:cry:

Already done that. Oh well. If you wake up in the middle of the night with a solution, remember to write it down, eh?

Thanks again. I appreciate it. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

:rolleyes:

Okay. Well. Sorted now. I did say I was new to Access, right? I right clicked on the actual text boxes on the form and renamed the boxes that way. I rather foolishly thought that renaming the label boxes would feed through to the text boxes themselves. I feel rather embarassed now. Sorry to have been a pain!!! :oops:

Thank you so much for your patience... :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Glad you got it sorted :) Access is fun... as long as you keep taking the tablets!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back