NEW JOB TEST

Greg

I'm sure some of the young HR ladies are quite capable at Pivoting around on Tables (outside of work), but whether this has anything to do with Excel I will leave up to your imagination....

Richard

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
So how did the interview go?

Also, if you haven;t already had it...
Some temporary agencies you standardized excel testing, as doo comp 100 classed at colleges. The first time I took one I did well enough but I was thrown by the way it asked you to arrive at the solutions. Many of them want you to use the menus. As I am a hotkey person it took me some muddling around to find what I was looking for.

Along similar lines, Oorang, I once interviewed with a temp agency where they had a computer-based Excel skills test. One of the questions was "where would you click to change the formatting of the cell?" and they would deduct points from your score every time you clicked somewhere other than the intended place. Of course, the test wasn't configured to accept CTRL+1, and clicking on the fill or font color buttons was considered "incorrect" (they were going for the format menu which, admittedly, should have probably been a giveaway since the word format did appear in the question and all).

Thinking back, maybe they were just trying to test if the examinee was experienced in not losing his patience with people unfamiliar with Excel who design skill test exams.

Oaktree

Thinking back, maybe they were just trying to test if the examinee was experienced in not losing his patience with people unfamiliar with Excel who design skill test exams.

Did they get upset with you when you shoved your boot thru their computer monitor? :wink:

Richard

Not as much as they did when I shoved my boot.... well, perhaps that's a picture for another board :-)

I'm sure some of the young HR ladies are quite capable at Pivoting around on Tables (outside of work), but whether this has anything to do with Excel I will leave up to your imagination....

Richard

Richard,
Not all HR is involved in dancing on tables. I'm an HRIS Systems Analyst, and believe me any test I put together would push people to the limits of thier Excel knowledge, if that's what we were looking for.
Vlookup wouldn't do it for me. Maybe a 3 level array formula, or a nice sumproduct, or even ANY knowledge of VBA!

Excelerated1,
I don't know if you should hope to have someone like me to put togeter the test or not. It would most likely be more difficult, but you wouldn't end up with some moronic program that tells you that there is only one right way to complete something.

Cal

PS-I'm moving in to our IT group, and they are looking for someone to take over for me, I wonder if you are applying at my company!
:-D

CBrine, I think you should put the test together just so we can see if we can do it:-)

Cal, you may be working with HR, but I wouldn't say you're in HR. At least not judging by your competence in Excel, which would get you thrown out of most HR departments.

Oorang, you might enjoy this lounge thread from dk; 'twas from before you joined our little community. Looks like DK's link to the test is still good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back