New Board - Quick Reply Doesn't Work

Just here to back up Suat - we are *NOT* turning off the requirement to click a reply button. It's ONE click and it places your cursor automatically in the Quick Reply box.
vs that one click to click in the quick reply before you start typing.

Not the "page", "post".

Ah, we're back to the non-linear issue. If it were up to me, I'd scrap the post vs page aspect, go to linear, and ditch the notion that we need a mouse click for a quick reply.

Also, when you select "Quote message in reply" checkbox just below the quick reply text area (just as I did for this post) then it will automatically quote the "Quick Reply" button clicked post.

You don't need to click "Quote" and wait for the new page to be opened for reply when you are quoting a message.

This is another good reason to keep it.

If I want to post with a previous reply quoted, I'll use the Quote button, or I'll use the quote tags and copy-paste. Changing the functionality does not make it any quicker than before.

With all respect, I think the design decisions were sub-optimal.

starl said:
Just here to back up Suat - we are *NOT* turning off the requirement to click a reply button. It's ONE click and it places your cursor automatically in the Quick Reply box.
vs that one click to click in the quick reply before you start typing.
I think the Board should work as users *expect* and not as the admins *require*.

But I'm not going to flog a dead horse here: The new Board is fantastic and I enjoy using it more than the old.

If this were an issue of just one control affecting only itself, then we would have it open to discussion (hey! when we first started testing, I didn't like it either, but when I looked to change it, the BOARD CREATORS had a warning about disabling it! frankly, i've gotten use to it.). But there's more to it.

As users expect and are used to, unless the change is transparent and improves usability.

As far as I'm concerned, the Quick Reply is a non-feature. No big deal, I'll just use Quote, and delete what I don't need from the quoted text.

I think there may be some confusion here.. i am, at least.

Jon - are you saying you don't want to use the Quick Reply text box at the bottom of the page? That, when you click the Quick Reply, you want to go to the full blown REPLY page with all the editing options? Basically - the Advanced Reply screen?

Jon - are you saying you don't want to use the Quick Reply text box at the bottom of the page?

No. I'm saying that I'd sure like to use the quick reply feature, but it doesn't work properly.

The buttons do not activate it for me in the Maxthon browser, which basically houses IE in a shell with multiple tabs. When the quick reply box was activated in the old forum, it worked fine in my browser. If I ever needed to quote a prior post, I'd add the tags myself and cut & paste the text. This led to much more concise quotes than any of the current options.

I was stating that, the way it works currently, the quick reply is nonfunctional, so I'm just clicking the Quote button to reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back