New Board - Quick Reply Doesn't Work

Jon Peltier

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
The Quick Reply box cannot be enabled. In the old forum and in many other forums, the Quick Reply box is enabled as soon as I am logged in. Now I have to use the slower Reply.

I'm using the IE6 version of Maxthon, which has no problems with other forums (including the old Mr Excel).

The Quick Reply box cannot be enabled. In the old forum and in many other forums, the Quick Reply box is enabled as soon as I am logged in. Now I have to use the slower Reply.

I'm using the IE6 version of Maxthon, which has no problems with other forums (including the old Mr Excel).

In every post frame, there are 3 buttons at the bottom right;
quote.gif

Multi Quote
multiquote_off.gif

Quick Reply
quickreply.gif

You will need to click Quick Reply in one of the posts to enable the Quick Reply text area.

I understand how it's supposed to work.

The Quote button is the only button that does anything on a regular click, and it opens a new tab with the full blown quoted reply dialog (which is what the old forum's Quote button did). The other two work if I right click and select either Open (which opens the full blown quoted reply dialog in the same tab), or Open in New Window (which opens the full blown quoted reply dialog in a new tab).

Why can't the Quick Reply always be active? If I have to click anything, it loses some of its quickness.

If it is set to not require a click on quick reply then the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes non-sensical. It is strongly recommended to require a click for Quick Reply.

That's why we use that action.

Hope that makes sense.

I agree with Jon. The software does, I understand, allow for this to be the case (ie you can type directly into the Quick Reply dialog), so is there any chance this could be enabled? What are the cons against doing this (if any)?

EDIT: in reply to Suat's last post (which I had not seen when I crafted this post): anything other than pure Linear-style when reviewing the thread is bloody awful in my opinion, so I don't see this as a reason not to facilitate automatic typing in the QR dialog. That's my personal opinion though - what do others think?

Last edited:
I agree with Jon. The software does, I understand, allow for this to be the case (ie you can type directly into the Quick Reply dialog), so is there any chance this could be enabled? What are the cons against doing this (if any)?

EDIT: in reply to Suat's last post (which I had not seen when I crafted this post): anything other than pure Linear-style when reviewing the thread is bloody awful in my opinion, so I don't see this as a reason not to facilitate automatic typing in the QR dialog. That's my personal opinion though - what do others think?

Let me agree with Richard here. Any forum listing which isn't either linear is a pain to navigate. USENET works well with the treeview, and that used to work with Google Groups, until they "fixed" it. Hybrid views typically are awful. IMNSHO it's a bad decision to disable quick view to enable an awful thread view.

Other than this issue, I like the new forum well enough. It seems much faster. I have to get used to the icons, though, because it's not as easy to see which threads I've posted within.

If it is set to not require a click on quick reply then the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes non-sensical. It is strongly recommended to require a click for Quick Reply.

That's why we use that action.

Hope that makes sense.

I don't see why the system can't recognize the page that the quick reply is sent from. You need to click the submit button anyway, right? Why require a different button first?

The reason I dislike the Office 2007 interface is the huge proportion of added clicks it requires.

Richard, as you also mentioned, it is your opinion (as well as mine, I agree with your comment and I wouldn't use other than linear style) however, this is about losing a necessary information for the required forum structure that we won't able to get back once we disabled this "click requirement" that would affect other existing or future users might be interested using other modes.

Also, when you select "Quote message in reply" checkbox just below the quick reply text area (just as I did for this post) then it will automatically quote the "Quick Reply" button clicked post.

You don't need to click "Quote" and wait for the new page to be opened for reply when you are quoting a message.

This is another good reason to keep it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back