New Board: Edit/Delete Post

Re: Edit/Delete Post

As I suggested, you could prevent an entire post from being completely deleted, and in fact downplay the ability to delete a post. Somewhere make a note indicating that a post should only be changed to clarify or correct it, and only deleted if something is drastically wrong with it. In fact, maybe only an admin should be able to delete a post.

At the previous board, it was possible to delete a post of one's own if it was the last in the thread. I did that often enough if someone had posted a solution similar to mine just seconds before me. Now I fear some repeats...

At the previous board, it was possible to delete a post of one's own if it was the last in the thread. I did that often enough if someone had posted a solution similar to mine just seconds before me. Now I fear some repeats...

I wouldn't fear such a repeat. I've always liked seeing multiple responses in a thread. This allows me to either try out different approaches, or if one approach appears multiple times, it gives me added assurance that the repeated response might be a good one. Especially if one of the people posting a particular approach is known for providing good suggestions.

I agree it's good to be able to see different approaches but there are occassions when people would have a genuine reason for wanting to delete a post especially if you're a bit of a muppet like me. At the moment the only option is to edit the post and delete all the contents but this just looks messy.

I agree it's good to be able to see different approaches but there are occassions when people would have a genuine reason for wanting to delete a post especially if you're a bit of a muppet like me. At the moment the only option is to edit the post and delete all the contents but this just looks messy.

Although I see Jon's point, what I meant was:

Domski at 11:00

=WEEKDAY(F2)

Me at 11:10

=WEEKDAY(F2)

I always attempted (often succeeded) to delete mine if it was the last post/reply.

Although I see Jon's point, what I meant was:

Domski at 11:00

=WEEKDAY(F2)

Me at 11:10

=WEEKDAY(F2)

I always attempted (often succeeded) to delete mine if it was the last post/reply.

The reason I read for disallowing post deletion was that it messes up the database. Seems to me that, if DB quality were an issue, a duplicate post matters less than risking corruption. I understand your concern about repeating such an easy answer, but if you notice in the MS newsgroups, several copies (four or five, sometimes more) of this kind of response often follow a post. No big deal.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice to at least have the ability to edit the subject of a thread one has started. It can be helpful to mark threads 'solved' (or 'resolved' :)) as people wanting to give advice can skip over these threads and get to the ones who need help.....like me for example :) hehe.

You can edit the subject of a reply to an ongoing thread, which I think is enough. I find more lacking is the inability to edit an existing post more than ten minutes after you've written it, when you've discovered a typo or other need for a correction. I've actually had that ten minutes expire while working on a rewrite. I understand why they don't want posts being deleted after they've been published for a while, but not the editing bit.

I've actually had that ten minutes expire while working on a rewrite.

This has happened to me on a couple of occassions and is most frustrating as you have no indication that the ten mins is up until you click the save button. :unsure:

Dom

Just report the post and a moderator will determine if it needs to be deleted. This system is really user friendly. Just become a Mod Aladin. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reelspike

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back