Naming an Excel Table Query

Sundance_Kid

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I highlighted data in an excel tab and created a table and named it _07Jul23 in the name box.
Now if I go to the name box drop down and select _07Jul23 it brings me to the highlighted cells.

I then decided I wanted to rename it and instead call it _07Jul23_Data and I duly changed that in the table name box.

Now both tables appear in the dropdown but I only require the latter one to appear, also when I select the latter table _07Jul23_Data it defaults to the original name _07Jul23. However, when I got to power query both names appear when I want to consolidate some data.
Is there a way to remove the first named table?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
They will both appear as names in the Name Manager. You will be able to delete the first name since it is just a range name but not the Table Name.
Ctrl+<F3> will open the name manager (Formulas > Name Manager - in the middle of the tool bar)

Upvote 0
They will both appear as names in the Name Manager. You will be able to delete the first name since it is just a range name but not the Table Name.
Ctrl+<F3> will open the name manager (Formulas > Name Manager - in the middle of the tool bar)
Thank you, that worked.

Seems I had some of the tabs tagged as tables and some as just a named range.
I need to understand them better.

Upvote 0
If you give a Cell or Range of Cells a Name by using Name Box then you are just allowing yourself and Excel to refer to those cells by that name.
If you convert the Range of Cells into a Table then you putting those cells into an Excel Table Object (ListObject in VBA) and it comes with quite a bit of additional functionality as well as structured referencing.
Excel will give it a default name initially and you would need to go to Table Design > Table Name to give it a more meaningful (you can do it through Name Manager).
I like to have my table names sort together so I prefix my table names with tbl. It also allows me to type =tbl and get a drop down of list of the tables.
Note: xl has hidden range names starting with "_" and I have a feeling I have seen issues with starting a name with "_", so just keep that in mind if you can't live without the "_"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back